Chapter 12

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Lean on Me - Bill Withers
If there is a load you have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road, I'll share your load
If you just call me

***

"Have you called a vet yet?" I ask, my voice loud enough now that I've managed not only to wake both Tyler and Ivy, but also to draw Tessa and Avery out of their room.

"Yes, but unfortunately our vet is dealing with another emergency across town and won't be able to make it here till morning."

"So, what does that mean," I ask, misplaced frustration apparent in my voice. "If the vet's not there and she won't stand up-"

"With Alice's history and her symptoms, Dr. Edwards thinks that she'll be fine if we can get her up and walking."

"And if we can't?"

The pause on the other end causes bile to rise to the back of my throat.

"She likely won't make it through the night."

"I'll be there as soon as I can," I say quickly. "Thank you for calling me."

As soon as I've hung up the phone I run to the bathroom and fall to my knees in front of the toilet, quickly losing my dinner.

I hear someone call my name, and there are hands rubbing my back and pulling my hair out of my face.

Once the nausea subsides, I turn to see Tess and Ivy in the room with me, concern on both of their faces.

Despite the situation, I almost laugh to myself. She doesn't hate me after all.

"Grace, what happened?"

This voice belongs to Tyler, who's standing in the doorway. I reach for him, and he pulls me to my feet. Immediately, I bury my face in his chest.

I can barely breathe, let alone speak to tell him what's wrong. I let out a shaky exhale, trying to focus on calming my frantic heartbeat.

"No," I whisper. And suddenly, the word becomes the only thing I can say. "No. No. No. No"

The rational part of my brain knows that I'm about to have a panic attack, but I'm powerless to stop it. My breaths become sharp and shallow to the point where I'm hyperventilating so much that I can't say anything anymore.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I see Avery turn and head to the kitchen, rummaging around the cabinets in search of something.

"Grace, are you okay?"

"Everything's gonna be fine."

"What happened?"

Everyone is trying to comfort me, but it's too crowded and too loud and I feel like the walls are closing in around me.

"Everyone, get out of the bathroom," Avery says authoritavely, reappearing with something in his hands. "Give her space."

Ivy and Tessa do as he says, but Tyler is more reluctant to leave me. When he meets my gaze, I nod to let him know its okay.

Hesitantly, he lets go of me and steps back out of the doorway.

As soon as the room is cleared I lean my back against the wall and sink down to the floor, hugging my knees tightly to my chest.

"Grey."

I glance over to Avery, who's now assuming a crouched position in front of me. He reaches out and places a folded, brown paper bag into my hands.