Summer Chronicles - IV

4: -A Look at The Way July 31, 1992 Was Celebrated-

From The Journal of B. H. Snape

*****

Today is my twelfth year in this world, and I can say that it is quite a long term, yet short at the same time. Depending on how one looks at it.

Father has truly made sure that I get to become exactly like him during his birthdays: sour, unruly, a big git.

I appreciated that Papa had taken the time to contact all my friends, and it was quite a breather to spend time with them, especially with Hermione.

I wore a blue shirt under a smart grey vest and one of my long pants. The shoes were my trainers, of course. Papa wore exactly what he wears everyday: black.

My birthday began with a good amount of hearty breakfast, made by my own father. I invited Mister Jar to the table, and how glad I was that he relented! The Papa coaxed me into showering, when all that I even wanted was to spend this days of near with him.

I have been quite busy with the Recupero Vis, that I quite forgot to go down the beach and put my short but essential swimming classes with Dudely to good use. But no matter, Papa had assured me that School was at least a month away, thus I could swim for the duration of it. I shook my head.

Once I finished dressing myself up, Papa ushered me into the furnace and together, we Flooed to England. International Floo is just the worst. Papa seemed to be unperturbed by it, though, as he barely said a word throughout the ordeal. He merely held me closer to him as we passed by tube after tube after tube of blur. Finally, when I was able to feel the ground, I could see the world sway on its own accord, but Papa held me upright. Thankfully, he and I took an Anti-Nausea Potion prior to our short yet stomach turning trip.

Gulping away the gag, I asked my father why he opted to travel through the Floo.

"Hawaii is a very traditional place, Hadrian. They would prefer Floo rather than Apparition points."

Which was, of course, another outright fabrication from my genius of a father.

I know he still was out of sorts, for he had to take another dose of Recupero Vis just this morning. He wasn't fit for a long distance Side Along Apparition yet.

I frowned, but my frown didn't last as I saw the familiar grounds of the British Magical Consul. A woman had approached us and inquired whether we were tourists or citizen. Papa gave her our IDs, and she welcomed us back with a small smile.

Exiting the plain building, I was delighted instantly to see Hermione's familiar silhouette sitting on a bench outside the Consul. I shouted her name and she jubilantly went to me, and kissed me on the cheek and wished me a Happy Birthday.

She greeted Papa, to which Papa snorted at. I snickered when she obviously blushed, but Papa didn't say a thing and instead dwelt on the fact that his old Mentor, Monsieur Alpheus Redburrow, was there to accompany us. Of course, the adults talked while 'Mione and I walked ahead to the Apparition Point. I told hold of Papa and the moment we got whisked away, I was welcomed by the jolly sight of Diagon Alley.

As usual, the whole place was brimming with people of all ages.

Our first stop was at Oak's, one of my dearest friends. I had introduced him to Hermione, and she seemed to be enamoured by his tales of piracy and conquest. She was gifted a multicoloured plumage quill from a parrot, which she accepted with glee, and I, being the birthday boy I was, received a gift of a complete set of all-colouring raven quills. Papa seemed to have mentioned to him about my current emerging hobby of drawing, but it still to early to say that I do have a talent in this area of art.