A Million Dreams (Part 3)

A/N: Video times ~ 5:15 - 7:00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't care, I don't care if they call us crazy
Run away to a world that we design

Mattea smiles to herself as she reads Takashi's letter. She stayed behind in the room when all the girls went out to play.

"Whatcha reading?"

Mattea looks up from her letter, startled by the question. She glances from the paper to the short girl standing in front of her. "Just a letter from a friend," she replies sheepishly.

The curious girl shoots Mattea a smile, "Do you want to read it to me?" The girl sits down next to Mattea.

Mattea stares at the girl for a second, confused, before shrugging it off and responding, "Sure."

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake

Tears trickle down Takashi's face as the priest says the speech with indifference. Takashi's froze hands shakily pick up his father's top hat off of the simple, wooden coffin. He clasps the cold hat in his numb hands, refusing to look at the coffin.

The priest pities the deceased man, his son was the only person who attended his funeral. Even so, the priest has done this many times before, and it has now before more of a chore than a privilege. He closes his bible, looks over at Takashi and tells the orphan, "I'll walk you to the orphanage, Takashi."

Takashi looks up, gaze hardening as he icily retorts, "Sorry, I have places to be," he takes a step back, and another, and another, "Oh, and call me Shiro." Shiro runs away from his dead father's body, away from the empty funeral, away from the poor, meaningless life he was living before.

I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take

A grizzly, middle-aged man plucks a mouthwatering loaf of beard from his wooden stand filled with many more loaves of beard. He carefully places the loaf in his customer's basket.

Shiro walks past the man's bread stand, making sure to keep his head down, as he watches the exchange out of the corner of his eye. When the stand keeper momentarily turns away from the bread, Shiro breaks out in a sprint, nabbing a loaf of bread before running away as fast as his scrawny legs can carry him. He weaves through the sea of people, making his way to a dirty alley where the rats hideaway.

"Hey! Get back here, thief!" The stand keeper yells at the dirty, bread-stealing orphan. He turns and runs through a narrow alley. The stand keeper is well experienced with thieves.

Shiro glances over his shoulder to see where the stand keeper is when he suddenly feels two strong hands grab him and throw him to the ground. Shiro gasps in shock, dazed, There was no way the stand keeper could've run past him. Shiro feels his bread being yanked out of his grasp. He shouts out of desperation, "No!" He wearily tugs back on the bread but he was too weak, too hungry.

The stand keeper takes back the loaf of bread and trudges back to his stand through a narrow shortcut in the side of the alleyway.

Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make

Shiro collapses against the wall as he longingly watches his only meal slip away. He hits his head back against the wall, frustrated with himself. He shuts his eyes as he dreams of a better life, wishing for a miracle. He focuses on the city's sounds; horses walking along the streets, men shouting, women gossiping, children shrieking, the endless chatter of the city folk going about their day, and...shuffling...someone shuffling close to him. He peeks through his eyelids to see a fresh, juicy apple, albeit it's a little beaten up and doesn't look like it was freshly picked from a tree, but it still looks like the sweetest piece of fruit Shiro has ever seen. His eyes widen as his eyes trace up to the face of the kind apple giver. The apple giver's face is deformed. They almost look alien; large nose, large forehead, round chin, pointed dirty weary face.