TWO

"Are you going to call him?" Emma asks me, handing me back the slip of paper I had shown her over the dividing screen between our cubicles

"No."

"What, why not?"

"Because, he's some random dude who just gave me his number," I say. "And he's a waiter."

"So? He helped you out of that date. How bad could he be?"

"Let's see, the past three guys I have gone on dates with have either been going to see the Icecapades regularly since they were nine; he's twenty seven now, or they have a totally creepy Cabbage Patch Doll collection—which by the way stares you down when you're making out. Or they go to Comic Con to dress up like super heroes, when it's not even Halloween might I add."

"What the hell is Comic Con?"

"I wish I didn't know," I sigh leaning back in my chair. "It's like the universe is playing a big fat joke on me or something."

"OK, I can't watch you do this to yourself anymore," Emma blurts standing up and walking around to take a partial seat on my desk which was dosed with colorful sticky notes, pens, photos, and other junk. "You are going to call Calum and you are going to go on out with him until he asks you to be his girlfriend. I don't care what he does, you're going, and you'll have to stand his flaws whatever they may be."

"What if he chews with his mouth open?"

"I don't care." I pout at her but her demeanor doesn't crack. "Besides, it'll be like an experiment so you'll get to report back every weird thing he does and we'll laugh about it together."

"I guess I'll give him a call," I sigh, rolling my eyes and Emma squeals.

"Let The Boyfriend Project commence."

...

I am sitting on my bed. My phone is in front of me, taunting me from where it's lying on the duvet. I had crumpled up Calum's note and tossed it into the bin as soon as I got home from work because I realized how childish this whole 'project' really is. Then I changed my mind again and unfolded it. I have been looking between the note and my phone for the past fifteen minutes. "Don't be a pussy."

I reach out and pick the phone up, dialing the number. I hold it against my ear and listen to it ring for a few seconds. "Hello?"

"Hi, um, you probably don't remember me—"

"I know who you are," he says lightly and I can hear the smile he has on through his voice. "I spilled wine on a guy's lap for you, of course I remember you."

"Oh, OK."

"So what's up?"

"I'm starving," I tell him. "And I'm wondering if you're hungry too?"

"You're in luck," he says. "I'll be done with my shift in half an hour, so if you just come by the restaurant we'll figure something out."

"Great, I'll see you there then."

"All right, bye then."

"Yeah, bye." I hang up and toss the phone back onto the bed. I pad over to my closet, suddenly feeling like it's empty of anything to wear. I settle for a pair of high waisted Levi's and a blouse—I can not be bothered squeezing into a skintight dress if I have to sit through an entire date. I pack on a layer of powder over the makeup I've worn during the day and swipe on some lipgloss before I grab my shoes and waddle my way out into the living room where I find Emma and Arden—another work friend of ours.

"Hot date?" Arden asks as I take a seat on the couch to slip my shoes on.

"I sure hope so."

"We made an agreement she has to stick around until they're official."

"You hear how crazy she sounds, right?" I say standing up and walking over to grab my jacket and purse by the front door of the apartment.

"I think it'll be fun!" Arden beams. "Come on, maybe he's the one."

"No, I am not getting attached," I insist. "He's a project, and we are only using him to see how far I can really be pushed."

"As soon as you let yourself actually continue to explore the same guy, I think you'll have a hard time leaving him," Emma butts in. "I mean yeah you'll find things that make you tick but you'll also find things that you love and they outweigh all the bad."

"Let's not talk about love just yet," say, slinging my purse over my head to cross over my shoulder. "I'm going."

"Bye, love you!" they both shout after me and I roll my eyes as I step out into the hallway.

...

I've been in such a Cal mood lately