THIRTY NINE

"I feel like we've barely seen each other any this week," Emma says as we sift through the endless amounts of party decor in the store we are in

"I feel like we've barely seen each other any this week," Emma says as we sift through the endless amounts of party decor in the store we are in. Arden and I turn to her, and I fidget with the blue party hat in my hand.

"You're right," Arden sighs. "I've been so busy with Ashton lately and I hate what it's doing to us. I haven't done a face mask in forever and my skin feels duller than ever."

"I do masks with Calum. Sometimes I do them with Luke whenever Calum is at work."

"That's not the point."

"I know," I sigh. "I miss us too."

"We need to just have a day," Emma says and we nod in agreement. "We can't let our boyfriends become the centers of our lives. We swore we would never be those girls."

"How about this weekend on Sunday?"

"That'll be perfect," I gush. "The flight to England leaves early on Monday so it'll be a great rewind before."

"I'll bring some wine and snacks when I come over," Arden says. "Scotty, you're in charge of picking the romcoms, and, Emma, you're on face mask duty."

"Is it because I'm Asian?"

"Babe, have you seen your skin?" Arden deadpans. "I don't know if it's because of the Asian thing but you're doing something right and I want in on it."

"Fine I'll do it."

"I love you guys," I beam and I reach forward to place the party hat on Arden's head.

...

"Are you sure Calum doesn't know?" I ask Luke as I attempt at tearing open a bag of chips.

"I'm sure." He sees my struggle and takes the bag from me to unfairly open without any problem. I pout up at him when he hands it back to me to pour into the bowl on the counter in front of me.

"I've never thrown a surprise birthday party before," I say. "It's nerve wracking, Why is this a thing people enjoy doing?"

"It'll be worth it when Calum walks through the door," he shrugs. "He'll love it, trust me."

"Luke?" He notices the change in my tone. "Have you ever tried to get Calum to stop smoking?"

"We've talked about it a few times," he tells me. "I mean he knows it's bad but he's hooked I guess. I can't really do much about so I mostly just stay out of it."

"Aren't you scared he'll get sick?"

"Oh yeah," he nods. "But he's made up his mind and I can't change it so I don't try to."

"Oh."

"You know," he starts. "Calum's dad smoked. Calum smokes the same brand. He's trying to do whatever he can to feel closer to his parents I think."

"I didn't know."

"That's all right." Luke places his hands on my shoulders. "Scotty, you don't have to save him, he's about to be twenty five, he can make his own decisions."

"The thought of losing him scares me." The honest confession takes Luke back, and to be frank it takes me back too. Neither one of us had planned on having such a deep and heartfelt conversation just now, with guests littering the apartment and sparkling party hats on top of our heads.

"I'd be worried if it didn't," he smiles. "Look, Scotty. Forget about it tonight and just have fun. You're about to spend almost an entire week with Calum in London so you'll have plenty of time to have deep conversations over tea or during walks along the river. For tonight, just give Calum the best early birthday celebration he can get."

"Luke, even though you played a big part in playing me, you're a really good friend."

"Thanks, Lee," he grins. "I have to go call Ashton and see where he and Calum are and when the night is over I'll listen to whatever worries you have, but for now just take a shot and have fun. Go find Emma or something."

"I'll do that," I nod. I find Emma filling the ice-crate out on the balcony with bottles of beer. "Promise me you'll never throw me a surprise party."

"Don't worry," she smiles. "It's too exhausting anyway."

"What's that in your hair?" I ask and the confused look Emma shoots me tells me she has no clue. "Is that a rose petal?"

I reach out and pluck it out of her hair. "I swear to God those are everywhere. When I got out of bed this morning a petal fell out of my bed."

"At least Calum and Luke took some of the roses to their apartment."

"Babes, they only took like five bouquets. We still have more than half left even after Arden and Ashton took a few."

"Maybe we can give one away to every person in our building."

"Yeah, they're too pretty to throw away."

"Ashton and Calum are on their way up the elevator." We look to the side and see Luke in the door. We follow him back inside and after getting everyone to hide behind any piece of furniture they can find I turn the lights off. I only have to spend a minute hunched down behind one of the potted plants before the front door opens and we all hop out to yell surprise once Calum has turned the lights on.

As suspected Calum looks startled but he breaks out in a huge grin. Luke was right, it was worth the hassle getting to see Calum so happy. He greets some of the guests and then walks up to me once he spots me. "Happy early birthday."

"Best early birthday I could wish for."

I push up on my toes and reach out to place a party hat on his head and then press a kiss to his lips. "Now you're ready to have the best early birthday ever."

"I don't tell you that I love you enough," he smiles down at me.

"You really do," I laugh.

"Where did you get this dress?" he marvels and I can't help but smile shyly as his eyes look me up and down in amazement. "You look fucking gorgeous."

"It's Versace," I tell him.

"Scotty, how much was this dress?"

"Five hundred and thirty five dollars," I mutter. I throw my arms out in exasperation at the look he sends me. "I'm twenty two, I don't need a savings account anyway."

"Oh my God, Scotty."

"Don't worry about it. I kept the tags and I'm returning it before we leave for England."

"You're unbelievable."
...

Comment Nikki Shixx if you dig Calum's lisp