First Day

Sam leads me through the sea of people and through the front doors of the school. Instantly I want to cover my ears because the student body inside is immensely loud. We eventually make it to the attendance office after being constantly pushed.

"Hi, I'm Christine. I signed up a couple weeks ago...I was wondering if I could get my sch-"

"Ahh Yes! Ms. Christine. You're schedule is right here, freshly printed!" a perky, mid 20s attendance lady says, handing me a half sheet of paper with a list of all my classes and teachers.

"Thank you Melody." I say nonchalantly reading her name tag.

Sam and I begin walking away until we hear the clacking of her high heels hitting the tiled floors.

"Oh Christine, Mr. Calvo would like to speak to you before you head off to your classes." Melody says while pointing to a glass door with someone's title on it.

"Who is Mr. Calvo?" I whisper to Sam, sauntering over to his office.

"Who do you think? He is the principal!" Sam says with a duh attitude. I glare at Sam as my hand meets the cold door handle.

"Mr. Calvo?" I questioned while walking into his office.

"Yes? Ohh you must be Christine, So you are coming all the way from New York? That's exciting. Okay, well I just wanted to welcome you to the school and from the way you are dressed, I don't want any funny business." He says scanning my body over.

"Excuse me?" I say offended.

"Well if we are freely speaking here, you are dressed like a hooligan Ms. Meracdo." His eyes meet the papers on his desk as he sorts through them.

I cough on what I was about to say which would've gotten me in trouble and prove his point. "Well sir, I can assure you that I don't get into trouble and I plan on being a model student here at Feraro High School Mr. Calvo." I say in my most prestige voice. He looks up at me looking a bit taken back.

"What a great accent Ms. Mercado. You pronounced our High School's name with no difficulty at all and the way you flipped the Rs is very impressive. I'm sorry, but most of the students who dress like that, do cause much trouble and me many headaches." He says and grabs his four head.

"Yeah, I grew up speaking Spanish. I'm native, you can say. And if we are speaking freely, sir..it is kind of funny that your last name is Calvo and indeed you are bald. I mean no offence but in Spanish calvo does mean bald." I say laughing a bit. He joins in on my laughing and brushes over his hairless head.

"I do see that as funny. Anyway I do hope you are interested in maybe tutoring Spanish students this year Ms. Mercado?" he says, well more questions it. In all reality I would've said no but I need to be "smart" and a good student so I don't gain too much attention.

"I might be a bit busy trying to still figure out the way the school works and getting my apartment all taken care of, you know?" I say hurried.

"Are you living here alone?" Mr. Calvo questions and looks up from his papers with concern. Crap, I always find a way to mess up conversations. Think Christine, think!

"Haha of course not, that is frowned upon, a 17 year old living alone in an apartment. But my mom and her boyfriends are rarely around." I say smiling on the inside but my outside expression holds a frown. I'm gonna make him take pity on me and it will come in handy later one.

"ohh your parents are divorced? That wasn't in the paper work Christine." Mr. Calvo says while reaching for the file cabinet beside his desk. I reach for his arm and grasp his bicep. (A.N. Mr. Calvo is bald but he is only mid 20s like Melody because he has a disease causing him to not be able to produce hair. But even though he is bald, he is still very attractive like Lex Luthor from the Smallville Series, look it up!)