Part Fifteen

What? I couldn’t breathe, my back weakened, my knees crumpled, and I fell to the floor in a heap, like a house of cards with the bottom one removed.

Connor was quick to assist. He lifted me into the chair, that I should have been sitting in, and knelt at my side holding my hand.

Dr Shaw continued, “Your mother must know of her condition. She will have been fighting it for a few years. Her time is almost up.”

No. It couldn’t be true, not Mum too. I’d already lost Dad. Memories drifted into my head of my dad pushing me on the swings, reading bedtime stories, and bouncing me on his knee. I missed him so much.

I didn’t want to be an orphan.

“What condition? What is it, Doctor? What’s she got?”

He clasped his hands together, and his look was serious. “It’s her liver. It’s diseased and won’t last much longer.”

“Her liver? How could you possibly know that?”

“Sophie, you must realise that I am no ordinary doctor. I haven’t practised on humans since med school, they’re too easy for me to diagnose, you see. I like more of a challenge.” As he spoke, his face grew redder and uneven, like the craters of the moon. Two white nubs grew out of his forehead, and his eyes slit and turned yellow. I must have been staring like a goober. I’d never seen anyone transform right in front of me.

Dr Shaw chuckled. “You prefer the façade. Most people do.” His face slowly regained human features, and he continued, “I’m very sorry about your mother. There’s nothing we can do.”

Anger replaced shock. “I don’t believe you. There’s a whole magical world out there and you can’t voodoo something up?”

“It is forbidden to interfere with the natural order of the human race. If she had come to some harm by supernatural hands, I could help. Unfortunately, your mother’s condition is self-inflicted, and as such, cannot be changed.”

“Yes it can.” Why didn’t I think of it sooner? Stupid Sophie. “I’ll heal her myself.”

I was at her bedside in an instant. She looked so peaceful; it was hard to believe the doctor’s diagnosis. “It’s okay, Mum. You’re going to be fine,” I said adamantly, picking up her hand. She still wore her wedding ring. Why had I never noticed that before? I grasped my pendant and took a deep breath. I had a feeling I was going to need every ounce of strength for this one.

I felt nothing. Was that it? Had it worked? Shouldn’t I be passed out on the floor, spent of energy?

Connor’s hands appeared on my shoulders, and I looked up at him. His face was sombre and the slight shake of his head spoke volumes. It hadn’t worked. Teardrops pooled in my eyelids.

Dr Shaw came over. “You’re a Supe too now, Sophie. You’re governed by our rules. I’m sorry.”