Part Twenty-Two

“Ready?” I called, as I stored a few notes in my purse and popped it shut.

Beth appeared from her bedroom. “Does a one legged duck swim in circles?” Every inch of her body had been squeezed, hoisted, and painted with precision.

“Wow, you’ve really gone all out.” I had to admire her dedication.

“Just obeying orders, captain. You’ve done quite a number on yourself by the way.”

I tugged at the hem of my dress, willing it to cover my thighs. It didn’t work and shot back up. “I’m sure when I got dressed there was…more dress. I’m having second thoughts. I might change. I look like a tart.”

“That’s the idea, honey. Do you want to get a man or not?”

“Not one that wants to pay for services that I’m not offering!”

The club was nicely full but not too packed, and with no band playing, the stage curtains were closed. After Martin handed over our drinks with a cheery smile, it was no problem to find a free seat by the dance floor.

“I hope my efforts haven’t gone to waste; there’s not much talent in here tonight,” said Beth, scanning the crowd.

“I’m sure you’ll find someone. You always do.”

“What are you trying to say?”

She laughed, and I laughed with her. It had been too long since I’d had a good time.

“So what’s on tonight’s agenda?”

“Gonna find me a hottie to wrap legs and shake the sheets with.”

“Straight to the point as usual.”

“Well I say stuff relationships. I’m into mindless sex now. I’m gonna get my jollies while I still can, and then if the shit hits the fan and we all die tomorrow, at least I’ll be able to say I’ve lived a little.”

I had to admire her.

Like a pair of wallflowers, we sipped our drinks and surveyed the crowd. It was a disappointing selection. Perhaps it was the night that all the good looking guys had stayed home.

My head had just started to fuzz nicely when a familiar red head stood out amongst the dull multitude of others.

“Look Beth, it’s Carmen.” Carmen’s cropped hair had grown out into a cute bob, but it made her head look like a cherry. “Who’s that she’s with? He seems familiar.”

“Oh God, hide me, it’s Ethan.”

“Who?”