Chapter Seven: The Killings

——————————————————

Forget him! Your only task at hand is to find the burn!

But wait. Wasn't he....do I know him?

You don't know him. You don't know any of them! Forget him, forget them all! Escape the veil and find the burn now! These aren't your friends. They want to keep you from finding me. They're traitors who I'll deal with once you've carried out your responsibility to your homeland!

R-responsibility? But I- I don't know you. I know them. I know I do! You're a—AGH!!!

I could feel myself losing control once again. Something else was pulling strings I never knew existed. It's as if not only my body, but my very will of being was forcefully hijacked.

That's right, soon you'll understand your place. You'll break, and when you do, I'll show you true power myself.

Y-yes. Deepest apologies. I will arrive at the burn precisely at the time that the prophecy described. But first, I need to find a way to break the veil. I believe I am also being pursued by mages and wards. I can hear their wingbeats not far behind.

Good report. Your enhanced flying abilities should be sufficient to lose them. Breaking this 'veil' should be no problem. As an Echelon Five, conjuring a counter veil should take no time to teach you. Before I do that however, I want you to prove your loyalty.

Loyalty? I am loyal to you.

In due time. There is an individual; your closest pursuer behind you on your right. You knew this person before. I want you to make an example of him, permanently, without hesitation, or pity. He is acting contrary to my motives, and ending him will encourage others to desist from acting in accordance. I have no desire to spill any more Atlantean blood than I have to.

As you wish.

He was right. They are only delaying the inevitable. I must do this for Atlantis.

I made a turn through an opening in the clouds. The intense wind and rain couldn't hinder my movements. I had free roam of the skies. And when this 'person I knew' got close enough, one slash should be enough. I don't want him to suffer.

Through the opening I created behind me in the grey vapor, I saw my target.

A panther-shaped gargoyle.

I have no memory of this Morpher, perhaps he is someone I knew in Human form? Someone I care about? What if I'm killing a family mem-

NO!!!! Don't say that word! HUMANS aren't MAGUS'S! Don't even compare the two! Humans are YOUR enemy. When they are all dead, like they should've been before I was betrayed by my so called "family", then Atlantis can have a better future! A safe future! Anyone who fails to realize that, even a Magus; is an enemy and should be treated as such. Now......end him. Or I'll have you make his death a longer, more painful one.

The Gargoyle stopped mid-turn once he spotted me. The smaller creature levitated cautiously, speaking with the voice of someone I indeed knew.

"Paige! It's me! Elliot! Please, let me help you! I'm not angry, I just want to talk! Please! This isn't you!"

I flinched and resisted the temptation. Managing to get one last warning from my old self out.

"Run, please, before— I—."

One wing thrust was enough to get me in close enough to slash his unguarded gut open with a talon. He didn't cry or grunt in pain. Even the wind itself seemed to pause its torrent so I could listen.