Intermission: Come The Solstice

Lost City of Atlantis, Alyria, Central Atlantis

Pallas
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"Speak! What is going on out there?"

"There was a revolt, Emperor Triton. There were four attacks this morning here in the capital, and nine across the harbor in Higginbury and Feigmonton. We don't know why, but every single assailant possesses a red Shard and there were reports of them speaking the final words of the forbidden prophecy." The servant quivered in fear as if father would strike him.

"Look at me! Stop stuttering! Who is responsible for orchestrating these 'attacks'? What kind of attacks are being carried out? Looting? Genocide? What?"

The servant looked at the marble floor. "I-I don't know w-who is responsible my liege. But the attacks have been suppressed and the criminals are in custody. There were only reports of assaults on individuals; particularly Humans."

"Criminals?" My brother Janus spoke up. "Which prophecy did they use?"

"They-they used the Third One my lords."

The room fell silent. Not one adviser or minister spoke a word. "Then they aren't criminals, they are under someone's control."

Triton sat up from his desk and slowly made his way towards his assistant secretary to whisper something in her ear and walk slowly towards his military leaders who stood off to the side. Father was an old man. The stress over his long years ruling Atlantis took its toll. With the news that the Asha was seceding from Atlantis, and these random attacks happening en masse across the country, Triton was going to pass the throne to Janus; who was already trying to bear some of father's burden with these dreadful news.

"I want Siphon bought before me. He will pay dearly for breaking my trust. He was treated well, and now he defies the sacred pact?! And attacks my people?! Send for Mason and Matidia. I want them to deal with this insurrection and arrest him immediately!"
Triton stumbled a bit mid-rant but refused an arm from Janus keeping him from falling. "Out of my way! Damn you!"

"Father, you've been sick all week. Let me assume your duties in the interim while you rest." Janus blocked his way. "You've done enough, Let me handle this. By the time you're well, I'll have taken care of the formalities so you can rest and figure out what you really want done with Siphon. You are a man of mercy, father. Please don't act out of panic or hatred."

"Panic? PANIC?! We're facing a Second Civil War and a possible THIRD FRAY if our combined sentinels don't keep our lands concealed from the Outsiders! What happens when the ones who live in the south start deciding to turn against the Humans beyond our borders? Just look at what they are doing to the Humans living in Asha already! They are being led to the slaughter and hunted down in throes! All it took was one order from Siphon just hours ago and I'm already receiving reports of mass genocide!" Triton began gasping for air and he fall back against a column behind him.

The great doors to the throne room opened. "My lords! There was an attack at Hyperborea!" The voice belonged to someone I knew very well.

"No," I gasped. "Get the students out of there, and that includes Lemurians and Citizens of Mu. Evacuate all faculty and make sure that the Protostar is transported safely the the Temple vaults here! Do it now! Where's your brother, Matidia? I need *gasp*  you to *gasp*."

"Relax, father. I'll handle this. Guards! Take him to his chambers!"

"No," said father with labored breathing. "I need to know what's going on up there."

"Yes my liege." Matidia gave me a short nod as she passed me and stoped in front of Janus and Father. She was dressed in battle gear equipped with magic energy connected to her Shard.

"The new Echelon Five; Paige, has committed an attack against The grand proctor and spoke the forbidden prophecy."

"WHICH ONE? DAMN IT!" Triton impatiently hissed through gritted teeth.

"The third one," Matidia answered.

"What is the third prophecy?" I asked. I was afraid it was something that I should already know, but it turns out it was the exact opposite.

"Something I feared would be mentioned again." Triton answered in his calm, fatherly voice. "But it won't matter as long as we make sure no one leaves the veil."

There was a long moments silence. Matidia looked at the floor and sighed. "As for my brother, he is currently dealing with the situation up in Hyperborea. And sir— I must report to you that Paige also killed a ward and disappeared without a trace. There is no sign of her within the northern veil. We have already assumed the worst; that she has surely left the Mystic World."

Father slowly pushed himself up and gazed at everyone in shock, looking for an answer. After a while, his lower lip quivered.

He nodded in solemn acceptance to the news. "Come the solstice, so will he. Then, so be it."

"Lieutenant Hammond, utilize the mountain forts, and keep watch to the West. Shoot anything that defies your sentinel's warnings to not approach. Don't show any weakness. I want able-bodied men recruited to man the forts to maximum capacity, and I want every sentinel available to keep the southern skies secured in case the sentinels there don't comply."

Triton then looked to me and Janus. "You're right, I do need rest-"

He then turned around and made for his chambers.

"-for the monstrosity on its way today."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

AUGUST 31st: Guys, I've been waiting to release Chapter Nine for some time now. It's going to be big!

I've literally been setting this up ever since I began writing on Wattpad.

Do you have any final theories before the huge reveal?

Until next time—