Three

Mary woke up the whole house at three am, when she woke up screaming.
"Hey. Hey, it's okay. It's okay, baby. It's okay." Rick soothed, sitting up and holding her tightly to his chest.
"Is she okay?" Carl asked in panic, stood by the doorway, Michonne close behind him.
"Hurts!" Mary screamed suddenly, sobbing.
"I know, baby, I know. I know." Rick whispered, stroking her back.
"No, it really hurts!"
"I found these." Carl said quickly, walking over with some pills.
"They're too strong for her." Michonne insisted, and Rick shrugged.
"It's not gonna kill her." He replied, looking at the packaging. They were strong, and for a twelve to sixteen year old, it was one tablet, only to be taken when prescribed. He ignored that it said it wasn't suitable for children under the age of twelve. Rick sighed, then put it into her mouth, and gave her some water. She was as mature as a twelve year old, maybe that counted.
"There. It'll feel better soon. You're okay." Rick whispered, holding her even tighter. "Carl, why don't you go back to bed? You too, Michonne. No point all of us staying up."
Michonne nodded softly and left, as Carl walked over and kissed the top of Mary's head. "You're gonna be just fine. Okay? Look, I found your bunny." He smiled, unhooking the teddy from his belt.
"I though it was gone. And your hat."
"Nope, I got them both," he whispered shakily, "they're safe. You're safe now." Mary nodded softly, and Carl kissed the top of her head again. "I love you."
"Love you too." Mary mumbled, then Carl left. "Daddy. It hurts." Mary cried softly, laid on his chest, holding the bunny close.
"I know, baby, I know." Rick soothed, stroking her hair as she cried.
"Daddy?" Mary asked in a whisper, "Daddy, why didn't you come back for me?"
Rick's heart fell, and a tear fell out of his own eye. "I didn't want to. But me and Carl thought we saw you, as a Walker. And we found your bunny, Carl's hat, and lots and lots of blood."
"But that wasn't me."
"I know. But we didn't know that."
"Okay. I was trying to find you. Then  I got shot and it hurt. And it hurts now."
"I know, baby, I know, and I'm so so sorry. I'm so sorry."
"Daddy, my photo of you and mommy and Carl was at the prison. It's gone." She sobbed. "It's the last one."
"I know. I know."
"I'm so sad. I want Judy back." Mary cried.
Rick began to cry silently, resting his head on Mary's and sobbing into her hair. "I miss her too, baby girl. So much."
"At least mommy and Judy get to meet each other." Mary cried.
All Rick could think of was what Lori had said to him all that time ago on the farm, when Carl had been shot. Maybe this isn't a world for children anymore.

"Daddy?" Mary asked as she woke up that morning.
"Yeah?"
"Is it wake up time?"
"Yeah. Lemmie go see if Carl's up." Rick smiled gently. "You sit up, yeah? You gotta, like, get used to sitting up on it. Then tomorrow, you'll stand. Okay?"
Mary nodded, and let Rick help her sit up, crying as he did.
He went into Carl's room, and put a hand on his shoulder, as Carl read his book. "You had any breakfast yet?"
"No. I was waiting for you guys."
"Okay. Can you take Mary and have some cereal?" Rick asked gently.
"Yeah." Carl nodded, putting his book down and getting up, pulling his hat onto his head.
"Hey, Moo," Rick smiled, going into the other room, "you go get some breakfast with Carl, okay?"
"You're not leaving me?" Mary panicked.
"No, I'm staying here."
"Okay." Mary nodded, her face in pain. Carl picked her up, making sure not to touch her hip, and carried her down the stairs.
"You gonna sit here?" Carl asked gently.
"It hurts to sit." Mary cried softly, and Carl nodded, letting her lay on his chest as he sat upright, pouring some cereal into two bowls, one handed.
With one hand, Mary held her bowl, and with the other, she ate the cereal, struggling to do so while laid on Carl's chest, as Carl tried to eat too.
Mary smiled weakly as Michonne walked in, wearing a white men's shirt, and carrying two drink bottles. Carl began to laugh, and she raised her eyebrows. "Do you have something to say about my extremely comfortable and attractive shirt?" She teased.
"No, no it looks great," Carl laughed, "oh, you missed a..." He pointed out, as Michonne did up the button.
She sat down, and poured the remains of the cereal into a bowl, and smiled at Carl. "Wish we had some soy milk."
"Seriously?" Carl half laughed, in disgust.
"Yes, seriously," Michonne half smiled teasingly, "have you ever tried it?"
"I don't like almond milk. Daddy made me drink some. At the prison." Mary mumbled.
"It's good for you." Michonne chuckled.
"My best friend in third grade, he was allergic to dairy, and every day he would bring this soy stuff to lunch. I tried it."
"And?" The woman prompted.
"I threw up!"
"Oh, yeah right!" She scoffed.
"Alright, alright. I almost threw up , but I was like..." Carl chuckled, pretending to gag, "it was so gross, I mean literally, I would rather have powdered milk than have to drink that stuff again! I would rather have Judith's formula..." He smiled, before realising what he had said, and going quiet. He got up, and left Mary with Michonne, the little girl looking at him in confusion. "I'm gonna go finish my book," he mumbled, "I have a few chapters left."
Mary began to cry softly, and Michonne stroked the back of her head. "It's okay. He's just sad." She whispered. Mary nodded, and buried her head in Michonne's shoulder.
"Not hungry."
"Okay. Hey, your daddy is in the kitchen. Let's go see him." Michonne suggested, getting up with Mary in her arms. She walked over, and Rick smiled, taking Mary out of Michonne's arms.
"Thank you. I heard him laughing in there. Almost forgot what that sounded like," Rick smiled, "you know, I can't be his father and his best friend. He needs you. I know that's a lot to throw at you, so if you're ever feeling like you need a break..."
"I'm done taking breaks." Michonne said quickly, and Rick nodded slowly, kissing the top of Mary's head. "So what's the plan? This place, is it home or just a stop along the way?"
Rick looked at Mary, her body weak and malnourished. "Well, let's let's just stay here while we figure it out. Till Mary gets stronger."
"Well," Michonne nodded, "we'll need more supplies. I'll go with Carl and get some."
"I'll come too."
Michonne scoffed. "What? And bring her too?"
"Yeah. She'll be quiet." Rick nodded.
"You're crazy. And anyway, you were unconscious yesterday."
"I'm awake today." Rick shrugged.
"We need you strong. Just rest. Look after your little girl, catch up on your sleep, try whatever you can to get her better, and rest. Just one more day." Michonne said gently, before leaving to go upstairs.
"Moo? Are you okay, baby?" Rick asked gently.
"Yeah. Just tired. I don't want Carl to go. Or Mishy."
"Hey, you love goin' on runs. Why you scared of them going?"
"I'm not scared. Just don't want them to die." She mumbled, her eyes closed.
"Neither do I. And they're not going to, okay? We're safe now." Rick soothed, and Mary nodded groggily.
"Okay, we're gonna go." Michonne explained, coming down the stairs with Carl on her heels.
"Okay." Rick nodded, walking outside with them. Carl took Mary off Rick, and hugged her tightly, kissing the top of her head.
"How long you think you'll be?" Rick asked.
"Fill a couple bags. Shouldn't be too long." Michonne nodded.
"It's eight fifteen now."
"We'll be back by noon." The woman assured.
Rick turned to Carl. "You follow her lead. You understand?" He asked, passing him his own gun. "Hey," Rick said gently, looking at Carl's broken face, buried into Mary's hair, "everything okay?"
"Yeah. I'm just hungry." Carl nodded slowly.
"Alright. I'll see you in a couple hours." Rick smiled gently.
"I'll see you soon. I love you." The young boy whispered into Mary's ear.
"I love you." Mary replied, her tiny fist holding onto Carl's shirt, then reaching up and patting Carl's hat.
"You wanna wear it? 'Till I get back?" He offered.
"No. It's yours. You need it now we're not farmers." Mary smiled, and Carl grinned down at her.
"Okay. See you soon." He nodded, kissing the top of her head again, then passing her back to Rick.
"Stay safe." Rick called after the pair, as they left. He carried Mary into the house, and shut the door, putting her on one end of the couch, then pushing it against the door.
"Okay. Let's go and change your bandage." Rick sighed, picking her up again and walking up the stairs, to the bedroom. "Right. Let me have a look." He mumbled, rolling down Mary's leggings and unwinding the bandage. There was a few specks of blood, and the wound looked red, and slightly puffy. Rick gnawed at his lip, panic running through his veins. If it wasn't just inflammation, if it was an infection, they were in trouble. They had no antibiotics, and she was so weak.
Rick pushed the thought aside, and went to the kitchen, trying to find bandages. He found two, and wrapped one around Mary's hips, making it thick and bulky, then changed his own bandage. He dressed Mary into clean leggings, and put her dungarees over the top, Michonne having washed them earlier.
"Do you want me to read to you?" Rick asked softly, and Mary shook her head, grabbing her bunny to her chest. "No? You love it when I read it you."
Mary just shook her head, and Rick nodded. "Okay. That's okay. Shall we just have a nap?"
Mary nodded slowly, holding her arms out, and Rick pulled her over, holding her close.
"Daddy," Mary whispered shakily, "Do you think we'll find everyone? Find my Glenny and Maggie and Uncle Daryl? And Sasha and Tyreese and Hershel and Beth and Carol and Lizzie and Mika? And everyone?"
"Sweetie," Rick replied shakily, "Hershel died. But... I think we'll find people. We're family. One day, we'll find each other." He lied. "We're family. And they love you so much. They're not left because they don't love you. They love you so much."
"I miss Glenn." Mary cried suddenly, "I miss Maggie and Judith! I know Uncle Daryl doesn't die, but I'm worried for my Glenn and Maggie."
"Hey," Rick smiled softly, "How many times has Glenn almost died? So many. And yet here he is. Don't you worry about Glenn. He'll be worrying for you too much. He loves you, you know? When you was sick, Hershel told me he didn't leave your side. And he..." Rick whispered, thinking of what Hershel told him. Of how Glenn had taken the breathing equipment from Henry, and given it to Mary. He knew that would have been hard for him. But he did it. He saved her.
"He made sure you was okay. No, your Glenny is alive somewhere, worrying about his best friend Mary. Don't worry. Let me and him do all the worrying for you."
"Okay." Mary nodded slowly, closing her eyes. She fell asleep, and slowly Rick did too. While his sleep was dreamless, all Mary could dream of was Glenn. Her best friend, the young man who was like a brother to her. He was there from the start. And losing someone who she had known from the start, not knowing if he was alive or dead, was killing the child.