Sixty nine

When Mary woke up, every was gone. That day was long and boring, Mary ignoring every word Denise said, and being a nightmare for her. Needless to say, Denise was happy when bedtime came, but Mary refused to sleep by herself, and her and Carl ended up sleeping in Rick's bed, Carl holding her to his chest protectively.
"What happens if they don't come back?" Mary whispered shakily.
"They'll come back. Don't worry about it." Carl soothed, hiding his concern.
"No, Carl, what if? Who'll look after us? Everyone who looks after us is gone. I'm worried."
"I'll look after you, okay? Don't worry. Go to sleep."
"I can't, I miss daddy!" Mary whined, a tear running down her cheek.
"I know. I know you do, but you have to go to sleep, then we can see him tomorrow."
"Promise?" Mary mumbled.
"I promise." The brother confirmed, and Mary breathed in shakily.
"Okay. Can you sing?"
Carl hated singing. He was horrific at it, he couldn't hold a tune whatsoever, but he couldn't say no. So he sang softly to Mary,
You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You made me happy,
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you,
Please don't take, my sunshine, away.

The next day, Mary slept in late, and woke up to Denise making pancakes, about to wake her up next.
"Hey, sweetheart." Denise smiled as Mary stumbled down the stairs, almost tripping over her too-long pyjama bottoms.
"Hi." Mary whispered, holding up her arms. Denise picked her up, and held her on her hip.
"Did you have a good sleep?"
"Yeah. I miss daddy."
"That's okay, you'll see him later today. Do you want some breakfast? Yeah? Okay, go get Carl."
Mary nodded and scrambled down, then found Carl in the living room, playing with Judith. "Denise made us pancakes. Come on."
"I know." Carl laughed, getting up and going to the kitchen. They ate, then Carl got Mary dressed in a tiny play suit, the sun warm and bright.
"Okay, Carl, are you okay with them until your dad gets home? I've got some things to do in the infirmary, but she can come with me."
"It's okay, she's going to Izzy's for a play date anyway." Carl shrugged, and Denise nodded.
"Okay. Mary, you can take off your bandage now, the stitches will be healed enough." Denise added. Mary nodded, and let her take it off, her head feeling lighter, more breathable.
"I wanna see." Mary grinned, running to the mirror. She looked at the stitches and smiled giddily. "I look so badass!"
"You're so weird." Carl sighed, and Denise laughed.
"Okay, I'll see you guys later. Mary, I'm going!"
Mary ran back to Carl and Denise, and hugged the woman tightly. "Bye bye Auntie Denise."
"Bye bye," Denise chuckled, getting up once Mary let go, "be good, okay? And Carl, tell me if your dad ends up being late home and I'll come over."
"Thanks." Carl smiled, and Denise nodded.
"See you later." She replied, then left.
"Okay, put your shoes on, and you can walk Bertie round to Izzy's."
"Really? Mishy never lets me."
"Mishy is sensible. I'm not. Go put your shoes on." Carl ordered, and Mary ran down the stairs to do as he said. They got outside, Mary clinging to Bertie's lead.
Then she saw the RV roll up, and Mary ran over, dropping Bertie (but the old dog just sat still, as chilled out as ever). "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Mary screamed, pulling open the door, and jumping into Rick's arms.
"Hey, princess." Rick chuckled, holding her tightly and kissing the top of her head.
"I missed you." Mary mumbled emotionally.
"I missed you too. Are you okay?" Rick asked softly.
"Yeah." Mary nodded, still nuzzled into Rick's chest.
"Good. We got all the bad guys."
"Good." Mary whispered, holding Rick's shirt in her tiny fists.
"She okay?" Michonne asked softly, putting a hand on Mary's back, and Rick nodded.
"She just missed us." Rick answered, and Michonne smiled softly.
"Moo, we got all of the bad guys. It's okay now." Michonne soothed, and Mary looked up, then hugged Michonne tightly, clinging onto her neck. She didn't leave their sides for the rest of the day.

After singing until his voice was hoarse, Rick finally left Mary and Carl's room, Mary asleep, curled into Carl's side like a tiny crescent moon, Carl half asleep, holding her gently.
"I love you." Rick whispered, kissing Marys forehead, then - before he could move away - Carl's.
"Love you too." Carl mumbled, his eye shut. Rick chuckled at his half-asleep state, and slunk out of the room, barely making a sound. He went to check on Judith, but saw Michonne just coming out of the room.
"Just checked. She's fine."
"Thanks." Rick smiled, then a silence surrounded them. Neither of them was sure what to do; they hadn't said anything about if they shared a bed now, or slept in their own. They hadn't said what they were. Even though it's been two nights since the one they slept together, the first night Rick had called asleep in Mary's bed, and they'd fought through the second.
Michonne knew what he was thinking, but didn't want to initiate the conversation, so they just stood, staring at each other, until their lips fell together. It wasn't quick and passionate, but slow and loving, yet still short.
When they pulled apart, Rick gave Michonne a slightly cocky smile. "So, I was thinking, do you want to stay at my place as of now? I promise you don't even have to pay towards the bills or rent."
"Yeah. Yeah, that sounds good." Michonne smiled back.
"I mean, obviously because of the kids. Don't want to confuse Mary if some mornings you're there, some your not. She doesn't do well with things being different every day. She falls out of her routine."
"Yeah. Just for Mary's routine, not for you." Michonne laughed softly.
"Although we may have to get a lock on the door."
"That'll work well when she's locked out and we're asleep. What if she has a nightmare?" Michonne scoffed.
"Okay. We'll just have to make sure we don't go to bed undressed again." Ruck teased, and Michonne laughed with a roll of her eyes.
"Definitely, because I'm not explaining that one to her."
"Me neither." Rick chuckled.
"Okay. Okay, let's go to bed. And I mean go to bed, because I'm so tired." Michonne sighed.
"It's been a long day." Rick nodded, leading the way to his room.
"Yeah. Stressful. Difficult. Long. Tiring." Michonne complained. Then they were in Rick's room, and she couldn't help but kiss him.
They didn't go straight to sleep.

Mary woke up from a bad dream a few hours later, and found herself walking to Rick's bedroom, her bunny to her face, tired and groggy. Then she opened the door, and looked inside in shock.
"Daddy?" Mary asked in confusion, looking at her father and Michonne laid in bed together, both of the seeming naked, with only a loose sheet over them.
"What?" Rick mumbled groggily.
"Why's Mishy in your bed? Did she have a nightmare?" Mary questioned, climbing up onto the bed and sitting next to Rick.
"What? Mary!" Rick exclaimed, suddenly waking up, as did Michonne, who pulled the sheet over herself a little more; thankfully Rick was wearing his boxer shorts.
"I want a cuddle too."
Rick sighed shakily, then turned to Michonne. "Sorry. Mary, Come on. Let me put you back to bed."
"Why can't I stay here?" She whined.
"Because your bed is comfier." Rick lied, getting up and waking her to her room.
"Did you and Mishy share a bed because you're in love, like Maggie and Glenn?" Mary asked suddenly, her eyes wide.
"Bedtime." Rick insisted. They reached her bedroom, and he put her back in her own bed.
"I wanna sleep in Carl's bed." Mary insisted, and Rick sighed, but let her run over to her brother, to tired to argue.
"Okay, now go to sleep."
"I want Mishy!"
"No, Mishy's asleep. Mary, I'm not joking, I'm really tired. I had a busy day yesterday. Please go back to sleep." Rick sighed. Mary nodded meekly, and closed her eyes, eventually falling asleep. That night, her dream was a good one. She dreamt of being older, with Carl, Judith, Rick, and Michonne, and all of them simply being together. It was her first good dream in a long time.