Strange feelings- Chapter 4

© Copyright Sweetdreamer747 2014, All Rights Reserved

I was tempted to just leave it there. I was aware and terrified by the sheer curiosity I was withholding without understanding the source. Yet here I was the following morning, sitting at the table for breakfast wearing that same amulet which lost it's former glow. I'm beginning to think it was my imagination that this object possessed an otherworldly light and I'm trying desperately to hide that insanity.

Aunt Rachel glides across the Kitchen to serve everyone their breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. Uncle Mike is sitting at his now designated chair at the end of the table sipping his daily black morning coffee reading a newspaper that was formerly foreign to all of us.

"The Duke of Bridgemount makes a deal to sell his shares of the archives in return for a nuptial agreement between his daughter and the Duke of Chamberlin's son."

"Do you even know who those people are?" I query, digging into my scrambled eggs as I do so.

He set the paper down and clasps his hands together, "I'll have you know I find the unknown fascinating."

"It's not the unknown." I retort flatly, "it's just England."

"Well just England is our home now...our home should not be foreign to us."

I look over to him. He's completely assumed the role of an aristocrat or something. He's wearing glasses to small for his face with a blue button down and grey vest.

I raise an eyebrow, "You don't...wear glasses."

He chokes on a piece of toast, "Well aren't you perceptive."

"She's just messing with you dear," aunt Rachel chuckles as she helps pick the pieces of toast off him and the table.

"Don't mess with your food daddy." Riley chimes in.

Rachel laughs again, "That's right dear now try telling that to both men of the house."

We both raises an eyebrow as we turn our heads to Noah as he animates his plate like it's his last meal.

Riley bites her mouth in disgust, "You're calling him a man?"

"Hey!" Noah interjects, "am too!"

"Nope. You're too gross." Riley sticks her tongue out.

"Riley, Noah. Go clean yourselves up and get dressed. You're both coming with me to the market today."

They get up without a word but as soon as they leave the kitchen the resume nudging and poking each other to their rooms.

"Would you like to come too, Melonie?" Rachel asks.

"I think I'd like take it easy today, maybe finish unpacking if that's okay."

"Alright... but stay on the property for now. Your fa-I mean your Uncle and I still need to check the area a bit in case someone gets lost."

I noticed the worried look on her face, "It's okay Aunt Rachel."

She almost said your father...I'm used to it since it wouldn't be the first time. It honestly doesn't bother me much. I consider them like a mother and father to me sometimes with everything that they have done.

"Well..." She kisses me on the forehead, "make sure to get some rest too, you are looking a little pale, okay."

"Don't baby the girl, Rachel." He winks at me, "she tough as nails...like my brother was."

I could have sworn I heard Aunt Rachel mutter something like 'look where that got him' as she left but I didn't let it bother me. Both my Aunt and Uncle do care a lot about me and that's the only thing that really worries me more than minor things they say about a man I don't remember. I truly don't want to hurt anyone. I don't want to burden them and now that I'm in a different country that's all I will be doing till I can find a suitable University or job now that I'm old enough.