The Middle (Saeran Choi x Reader)

A/N: Poor, sweet Saeran. He deserves the happiest ending. Was listening to this song and thought of Saeran for some inexplicable reason. I do not own Mystic Messenger, any of its characters, or the song. Enjoy!

Warning: Some spoilers!

Door closing behind you, you jumped at the sudden sound of dishes shattering, the clamor quickly followed by angry yelling. 

'Not again...' you sighed internally, setting your keys and purse down. You had been gone for ten minutes at most, how had they gotten into a fight in so little time?

Rushing into the living room, you were relieved to see that the fight hadn't escalated past shouting...yet. Briefly, you wondered what had instigated the fight, but at the sight of Saeran ready to wrap his hands around his brother's throat all other thoughts besides stopping the worsening situation disappeared. 

When Saeran and Seven had first been reunited, you acknowledged the fact that the brothers would have to figure things out amongst themselves, without intervention from you, but it had been months and nothing had really changed. Bit by bit, you could see Saeran getting better, but his wounds were deep and it would be a long while before he truly forgave Seven. Patience and love seemed to be the keys to Saeran's recovery, but it was hard when the brothers never seemed to agree on anything...well, almost anything.

If your suspicions were correct, the brothers had agreed not to fight around you. When you were around, Saeran was tame, civil towards Seven, but when you left...God knew what happened when you left. 

Saeran's shouting voice sounded so heated, but the moment you appeared in the living room doorway his shouting cut off, his sharp, minty eyes moving from his brother to you. The brothers were at opposite ends of the room, Saeran facing you from his position near the kitchen while Seven stood with his back to you. 

For a moment, the only sound was the distant running of the kitchen faucet as two pairs of eyes locked onto you and the two young men unconsciously held their breath. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Seven shift uncomfortably, one hand running through red locks as he muttered a low "Damn," but your eyes remained focused on Saeran's. 

The younger twin's eyes were no longer angry, just deeply upset. You could see the frustration and shame welling in them before he tore his gaze away from you to stare at his feet. Your heart gave a painful squeeze for the man you had come to love. Saeran was trying, he really was, but after a life of betrayal and torture it was hard to forgive and love. 

Just as you were opening your mouth to chastise the twins, a new detail caught your attention. It had been hidden by his sleeve before, but as Saeran moved to swipe at the frustrated tears that were beginning to fall the fabric moved to reveal a long, red wound, the blood still flowing freely. The moment you saw it, all thoughts of scolding left your mind, your body moving across the room to hold Saeran's injured hand in your own. You looked up to him, hoping to find some sort of answer, but he kept his face turned away from yours adamantly. 

Sighing, you led him into the demolished kitchen, giving a backward glance to Seven who only mouthed "Sorry" before disappearing from view. Questions could wait, right now Saeran was hurt and that's what mattered most. 

Sitting Saeran down at the small kitchen table, you picked your way over a field of broken dishes to the cabinet where you knew a first aid kit was kept. Pulling out the bright orange box, you turned off the still-running tap and surveyed the damage that had been done in your absence. Shards of plates and cups glinted on the floor, the likely cause of Saeran's cut, and a cabinet door was hanging from one hinge, creaking back and forth as it threatened to fall.

How had they gotten so aggressive so quickly?

Making your way back to Saeran, you noticed the man was still refusing to look at you, his hair covering his eyes. Not even bothering to ask, you gently grasped his hurt hand and began to treat it. Saeran sat in silence as you worked, your serene, understanding presence and soft hands easing his tension. As you were winding the final bandages around his hand, he finally spoke.

"I'm sorry." It was quiet, so quiet you almost missed it. You paused for a moment, thinking you had misheard, before cutting the end of the bandage and securing it. Your hands moved to cup his cheeks, turning his face to look at you before replying.

"For what?"

"Everything. I'm sorry I dragged you into this mess. I'm sorry you've had to see us fight so many times. I'm sorry I'm so fragile that I break at the slightest push. God, (y/n), I'm just so sorry." The scared, despairing look in his eyes broke your heart, mint windows expressing everything he held in his soul.

"Saeran, you don't have to apologize. I may not have known what I was getting into when I answered your text that day so long ago, but I don't regret any of what's happened between us since then. We both knew your recovery was going to be long and hard, and it isn't easy knowing you and Seven fight when I'm not around. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind a little. I wonder what's going on in your head and if you'll continue to fight with Seven, but at the end of the day I know your progressing, I know your working hard towards recovering and finally being able to live your life-ah!" You squeaked as Saeran's arms snaked around your waist and pulled you into his lap. Pressing his face into your chest, he pulled you even closer to him, murmuring your name into the soft material of your shirt.

"(y/n)." His voice shook and you could tell that he was crying again. "I can't forgive my brother, not yet anyways, but I'll...I'll try to meet you in the middle on this and not fight with him so much." Smiling down at him, you ran his fingers through his soft, red hair.

"That's all I ask, Saeran." Leaning down, you pressed a kiss to his head, whispering words of love into the beautiful ruby strands. You were sure of it. One day, Saeran would be able to live however he wished and you would be able to love him as you wished.

A/N: My beta reader found five mistakes to fix when she read this. Thank god for my beta reader.T_T Requests are welcome! Thank you for reading!