Chapter - 27

Natasha's POV:

Love. Yes, love is for children.

But, never in my wildest dreams that I thought that I, myself, would be falling in love.

Moreover, with Steve.

But, I did. I am in love with Steve and I don't plan on hiding it for long.

Back in the Red Room, I used to believe that love was just a weakness. And I know for a fact that it is still true.

But what I didn't know was that it is also the only thing which helps us to keep going forward. It is the only thing which gives us hope.

And human beings are nothing without hope.

I know my past is ugly; but I would go through it all over again if it means meeting Steve again.

Still smiling from ear to ear, I get into the room and closed it. I lean on the door thinking about what had happened tonight.

It was so sweet even though it sounds a little cliche.

But my happiness did not last long once I find the bed completely empty.

My heart begins to thump heavily since I cannot find Clara.

"Clara! Clara, where are you?" I shout, hoping that she would answer me.

I hear a faint sound coming from the bathroom and rushed towards the door as fast as I can.

Putting my hands on my chest, I am stopped dead in my track. The scene before me make me go all white.

I find Clara's lifeless body lying on the bathroom floor, and blood was flowing from her nose and ears endlessly. She was laying in a puddle of her own blood.

She looks at me with her eyes barely open,"M-mama......" She calls for me with her faint voice.

I can't help but my body is suddenly trembling with fear. I was never like this even when I kill someone. But, here I am; not daring to move. I just feel numb.

The door opens suddenly and in came Steve. He finds my eyes with his concerned blue ones.

He, then, finds Clara's body lying on the bathroom floor.

Rushing towards her, he picks her up from the cold bathroom floor.

"Natasha! Why are you just standing there like a statue? Call Tony!" He shouts at me, putting Clara down on the bed and starts to wipe the blood from her face.

I feel myself getting numb and everything turns blurry.

"Natasha! Call Tony now." He yells, making me jump.

"Tony? Why him?" I ask, not knowing why I should call him, of all people.

Wearing an expression that I never know he had, he gives me a look. Hmm, he seems angry.

"Do you not remember that she is a 'property' of the government which we had stolen? So just call him right now!" He yells at me.

Searching for the damn phone, I start to dial Stark's number.
_

Waiting patiently for Dr. Cho to come out; Steve, Tony and I are sitting silently on the couch.

Tapping my feet impatiently, I can't help but recall the time when she called me 'Mama'.

"You should just left her here with me, Romanoff." Tony speaks up, getting my attention.

Looking at his serious face, I laugh dryly. "Oh really, Stark? So what? She will learn about what a one-night stand is. Is that what you want?"

His jaw hardened once he hears my words. But, I can't just help it. I am also hurting too.

"Maybe. But at least she will not learn how to kill someone at a very young age." He spits in my face. Ooh, that really hurts.

Feeling myself getting more angrier than I was, I almost cut that good-for-nothing tongue but before I lunged out at him, Steve grabs my arm and give me the 'Don't you dare!' look.

"Tony, you should go help Helen." He commands in his captain tone.

"Whatever." He mumbles, then went in to the room where Dr. Cho is trying to figure out why Clara has just fainted.

"Natasha, you are going way too far." Steve calmly states, defending Tony which makes me more angry.

I stand up from my seat, pissed at the stupid man who is sitting in front of me.

"No, you shut the fuck up, Rogers. You don't know how it feels like, the feeling of being unable to do anything even when you want to." I shouted at him, feeling myself getting angry.

Calmly, he stands up and faces me; our faces merely apart.

"You know what, Natasha? You are not the person who I thought you would be." He says, looking hurt.

Not the person he thought I would be? What does that even mean? Did he not love me anymore?

Feeling dejected, I searched for his baby blue eyes which used to calm me everytime I lost my way. But he no longer hold that longing for me and is instead replaced by anger. Complete anger.

I never saw Steve behaving like thing. This angry.

"Don't give me that face, Natasha. I am not in the mood for this." He stated with a restraint voice, sending shivers down my spine.

Biting my lips, I can no longer hold back the tears that were threatening to fall from my eyes. It just hurts so much.

I can no longer hold back these emotions anymore.

Who in the rigt mind would love a ruthless killer like me?

Tony was right, I am no good for Clara.

"S-so....does that mean y-you don't l-love me anymore?" I sobbed, trying to muffle my shaky breath.

Is this how it feels like? To love someone and knowing that they no longer held the same feeling?

Ivan was right. Maybe love is for somebody else and not me. Maybe I was born to feel like this. Maybe I am not meant to love or to be loved.

His eyes soften a little. Then he sighs heavily. "No, Natasha. That has nothing to do with this. I was just saying that you should've told me about Clara long ago instead of keeping me in the dark." He reasons.

Wiping the tears from my face, he carefully tugs the strand of hair falling on my face behind my ear.

"I'm sorry, Steve. I really am. You can hate me all you want but please don't leave me. At least, not now." I plead, hugging him tight as I bury my face in his broad chest.

He stiffens at first but he didn't pull away either.

I will not blame him even if he hates me but right now, I cannot just let him go.

I need him to be with me, at least before Clara wakes up. I know that this is not the best way for him to find out that he has a secret daughter, but I also know that he will not just run.

Then, he pulls away from my hold, making my heart swell because I feel like I am being rejected.

But then again, he cups my face with his big hands and make me look at his genuine blue eyes.

"Look at me, Nat." He begins. "I will never leave. Even if you told me to. You know why?" He asks, rubbing my cheeks with his thumb.

"Why?" I croak, barely able to talk.

"Because I love you."