-1-

I've always believed whenever you have these moments or meet people that will forever change your life, you're always clueless about it. Have you noticed that too? 

.

.

 .

I stared in the little mirror I had pulled out of my bag, running my brown eyes over my whole body as I lingered on the bruise on my cheek. This was going to swell up, I thought to myself. Immediately I knew this would be a problem, of course, not to me, but my parents and their image. They couldn't afford to get distracted by anything else than money.

Trying to touch the bruise in order to take in the whole damage, I winced in pain as soon as my fingers brushed against the skin. The internal debate of whether I should put on a band-aid or a decent amount of foundation was an on-going battle, in which the latter won. I didn't even wear makeup, apart from when the bruises made it impossible not to. Obviously, the foundation was also a more painful way, yet it got rid of the risk of people asking questions. Each time I touched the bruise, I couldn't help but wince. So this was what happened when a phone is thrown at someone?

Who knew this was what the great Amalea's King's life was actually like. The daughter of the richest family in town yet this seemed to be my reality and whilst most of the world saw my everything laid down in paparazzi or news, no one seemed to see past the image and past the surname that I thought was cursed anyways.

I heard the very silent knocks on the school's bathroom door.

"Just a second," I replied, quickly finishing off my masterpiece and smiling at the result.

Once I opened the door, I was greeted by Erin's face. She smiled at me, trying to show very hard how she wasn't feeling sorry for me - she knew it's what I hated the most: "doll, is that really best you could do? Sit down, let me work some magic on you."

I shook my head, she never beats around the bush. Sitting down on the toilet seat, I allowed her to help me out. Erin's perfume overtook the whole bathroom, her bright red hair, and her personality being the center of anyone's attention.

"Listen, doll," she sighed and I already knew where this was going, "this can't continue. Perhaps come to stay at mine? We all know our mom likes you more than me and Eric anyways."

I winced when she tapped over the wound, still managing to put on a smile: "you know it's not going to fix anything, it'll only make things worse."

She shook her head: "but we have to do something about it, you can't keep living like that."

I held her hand, squeezing it: "you know I love you, but it's my decision."

She nodded after a few seconds of most likely debating another go at trying to change things: "the bruise will only get worse during the day. Let's face the demons, shall we?"

I shook my head, walking out of the bathroom: "I swear, the principal will eventually make sure you get detention -"

The wind was kicked out of me as someone bumped into me. I awaited the painful colliding with the floor, yet it never came. Slowly, I opened my eyes seeing two green eyes stare back at me. My gaze traced up to his dirty blonde locks, then his full lips which seemed to turn into a bigger grin by each time I blinked.

"Not to break your romantic moment, doll, but the whole school is staring at you right now," Erin stated quietly, making me look at her very amused expression and gestures that clearly told me to shut my mouth.

I snapped out of it, realizing this stranger's arm was resting on my waist whilst mine rested on his neck. Unintentionally, of course. Quickly removing my arm, I looked around and sure enough, the majority of students were staring at me, some even holding phones in their hands, possibly containing physical proof of what happened.

Sighing, I massaged my temples for a second, knowing what would be coming once I got home.

"Are you alright?" the pretty guy said, his eyes quickly traveling to the bruise on my cheek, "crap, did I do that? I'm so sorry."

I and Erin looked at each other, knowing well the bruise was barely noticeable. Erin walked in front of us, shielding us from the student's stares, shooing them away with her hands: "now, now, nothing to see guys. Get going."

Looking the guy up and down, I noticed he was around 5'11, devilishly good looking in his white Calvin Klein top, Levi's jeans, Converse and Gucci backpack, also taking note of the enrolment documents in his hand. I instantly knew the cliche guy he was, deciding to cut this conversation short, tugging on Erin's hand as I smiled: "I'll see you around."

"What the hell?" Erin whisper shouted at me as I practically pulled her away from him, "he clearly was into you."

The number of designer brands he was wearing stated something bright and clear - he had money as if his enrolment in the school of "Children of Rich People" didn't state it already. The way he talked and acted clearly meant he was very confident and loved the spotlight. Perhaps it was too harsh to judge a book by its cover, yet I almost felt I had no other choice as the only 2 genuine people who cared about more than money or fame I'd found in the school were my best friends, Erin and Eric.

I laughed, rolling my eyes as we walked into our classroom: "babe, go for it if you want to. He isn't my type."

Just as I said that our phones buzzed, and I immediately closed my eyes, knowing what was coming as I took a seat. "I have a feeling no one will have the balls to try and take the King's property, doll," Erin looked at me sympathetically, showing me multiple paparazzi posts of him holding me, it looking as if we're about to kiss. Isn't it lovely when students in your school use any opportunity to leak photos to press?

"King has finally found her other half," Erin read out to me one title after another, "Who is King's secret boyfriend?"

"This is going to be so bad," I sighed, running a hand through my hair, "I don't even know the guy's name, how am I meant to answer my parent's questions?"

Erin nudged my side, looking behind me: "I have a feeling one problem is about to be resolved."

He walked into the classroom, looking around, as if searching for someone and as soon as his eyes landed on me, his face lit up, taking confident steps towards me.

"I think we're classmates. I'm Luke," he winked at me as he took a seat in front of mine and held out his hand for me, "and you are?"