-6-

Familiarity, comfort, and warmth -  seems hard to remember whether I ever truly felt these before he came into my life

.

.

.

"So.." Luke looked around the place I parked the car, "this is interesting?"

I laughed, walking to the abandoned apartment building on the left: "remember, you're not allowed to judge."

He looked at me as if I was crazy: "no way are we going in there."

I kept walking, near the entrance, which, to be fair, was through a broken window: "come on, there's nobody here, trust me."

"No," he pulled on my wrist, "I can't."

"What? Is this too scary for you?" I joked, trying to pull him with me, yet he wouldn't budge. 

"I'm scared of the dark, okay?" he sighed, looking at the ground ashamed, "if you tell anyone I'll actually have to kill you."

Biting my lip to stop the smile forming on my lips, I grabbed his hand, placing a flashlight in it: "it'll be fine, just follow me. No better way to get over your fears than facing them upfront, Harper."

I carefully climbed through the window, holding a hand out for Luke, to which he responded by rolling his eyes and smoothly climbing through himself. 

"Where to next?" he exhaled loudly, taking in the darkness. 

I grabbed his hand, knowing well this building was not half as safe as it looked: "even with the flashlight it's quite dangerous in here, the floors are not that stable, so you'll have to be right behind me, got it?"

A slight smirk appeared on his lips as he looked at my hand holding his, then back at me: "whatever you say, my Lady." That was my cue to roll my eyes. 

I led us through the unsafe spots of the building, quickly reaching the stairs: "you won't need that flashlight for much longer."

"Please don't tell me.." Luke started as we reached the final round, only a ladder separating us from the rooftop. 

"You can't be afraid of heights too, we were just on the rooftop yesterday," I smirked. 

"That building is only 2 floors, this one is 10, okay?" Luke laughed, "but no, I'm not. I was worried it might be rather unsafe, I'll hold the ladder for you."

"I'm alright, you go first," I patted his back, "knowing you're afraid of the dark and all."

"You'll never let me hear the end of it, will you?" he sighed, climbing upstairs. 

"You guessed it, Harper," chuckling, I soon reached the top, seeing Luke taking in the view. 

The building was in the middle of nowhere, only the forest surrounding it. The sun was nearly down as well, making the sky 100 shades of pink. 

"Was conquering the dark worth it?" I questioned, sitting down on the edge of the building. 

He sat down next to me, one of his legs dangling off the edge as he nodded: "for sure."

As a reflex, he pulled out a cigarette, about to light it as he remembered the deal and chuckled: "sorry, it's a reflex."

I grabbed the cigarette from his fingers, breaking it in half and throwing it off the building: "yes, this was too."

"Damn," he clicked his tongue, "you really do hate cigarettes, don't you? What did they do to you?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me why you hate alcohol," I raised my brow.