-8-

I thought two broken hearts couldn't make a whole one. That's why I let it happen. Because I thought for a certain we couldn't. Until we did. And neither of us could go back.

.

.

.

"So he's walking Rose.." Erin looked straight at me from the rear mirror of the car, one of her brows raised, "again?"

The lying part was seemingly getting harder day by day. I was currently aiming to drop the twins off after the poor attempt at a basketball game. Getting rid of them first was the easiest way to avoid confrontation. 

I sneaked a side glance at Luke who was sitting next to me. Of course, only after fighting with Eric over the seat. 

Hoping he would help me out this time, as Erin was clearly stopping to buy this whole story I created. He chuckled, clearly unimpressed. After all, it was my idea to hide this. Which, by this point, really made me hate myself for coming up with it. 

I guess I am on my own yet again. Sighing, I avoided Erin's burning stare that had now sparked the interest of Eric. Great, two against one it is. "Fine," I said.

"Fine?" Luke now looked at me, with his brows raised.

Surely I wouldn't be dumb enough to actually come clean. Yet it seemed like a better idea to be truthful than wait for them to find out on their own. Right? 

"Okay, I.. We... Haven't been completely honest with you two.." I began my explanation. 

Before I could even finish, Erin fist-bumped the air whilst Eric looked defeated: "hell yes! I told you! You better transfer me the 50 bucks right this second."

"Wait, what?" I furrowed my brows, stopping next to their house, "you two knew?"

Eric gave me the full package of a stare of disappointment as he got out of the car, without even saying bye. Erin rolled her eyes at him as she grabbed her bag: "oh, hun, you two are all over each other. Of course, it took me less than a second to put two and two together."

"What?" now it was my turn to be confused as Luke grinned in silence.

"Don't worry about it!" she landed a smooch on mine and Luke's forehead, "after all, you two make a banging couple."

And with that Erin left the car, slamming the door shut. Before I could even say anything. Before Luke stopped going along with everything she said. 

"So.." Luke finally broke the silence, as he showcased that devil smile of his, "should we get going, girlfriend?"

"Stop it!" I whined, hitting the wheel, "this is so not how it was supposed to go."

"Oh, do you prefer honey or sweetie?" he mocked me.

"Stooop!" I groaned.

"Alright, alright. We'll leave it at dimples," he grinned in victory, "no need to make our first argument out of something so silly."

I looked at him in complete defeat. This was so far from the ideal scenario. In fact, it wasn't even an option in my brain for the conversation to turn into this. Yet Luke seemed rather pleased with it. 

"What?" he laughed, as if hearing my thoughts, "let's just play along until they figure it out. Surely it won't take them long. After all, you guys have known each other since you were little."

Shaking my head, I drove us away from the twin's house. "You could have helped me out you know."

"I prefer letting things play themselves out," he explained, cutting his words extremely short.