VI

2000, Eighteen Years Backwards

"Hello, may I speak with Eleanor Wright, please?" Anaya fidgeted while making the call to the college recruiter. She would've done it when she had the guts last night, but without a mobile number, she needed to wait until first thing in the morning. She was unaccustomed to needing anyone's help and it felt crippling. Even as a child, she'd been independent and made herself figure things out as she went along.

"This is she," said El, crisp and clear.

"It's Ana from the College Fair at Emberswick High. The one who thought your shoes were superb."

"Oh, yes. They've always been a great conversation starter, Ana."

Anaya could hear the laughter in her voice and knew she'd hit her mark. Trying not to garble her words, she got to the crux of the matter. "You inspired me with what you said about teaching, El. I would appreciate it if you could meet with my mom and me to discuss it and any financial assistance you might offer, please."

"I see." A short pause followed.

Sensing movement behind her, she turned around to see her mother listening, visibly full of helpless hope. Anaya's heart went out to her. She balled up her fists. If El couldn't help her, she'd find someone else who would.

"I have an opening at twelve-thirty today. Can you make it then?" asked El.

Anaya's mouth fell open. Then she remembered she needed to say something in response. "Of course. We'll be there, El. Thank you so much." She hung up as soon as politely possible, so she couldn't blab her way into trouble.

"Twelve-thirty, Mom. We need to get moving!" She dashed upstairs. The drive would take about two hours, so she had to dress in a hurry. Conscientious, but not dull. Swiping her hands through the ensembles that hung in her closet, coded by color – nope, no, and hell no – she immediately rejected the red, blue and black sections.

She needed something stylish, but also not too flashy. Well, that wasn't an issue since her parents made her return anything that exposed too much flesh or had a designer label on it.

Her mother nodded approval as Anaya descended their gold-rimmed stone floater staircase. "If it were me, I'd give you a loan. And I'm a tough judge of character, being an accountant and all."

Anaya had settled on a cream blouse, tucked into khaki pants, with tan pumps, and gold hoops. Instead of letting her hair fall loose past her shoulders as her teenage self usually did, she'd settled on facing her destiny this time around in a ponytail, puffed up neatly in front.

***

As their primary objective wasn't a tour of the premises, they went straight to the administrative building, on the left wing of JBU. Anaya wrung her hands and pulled at her clothing throughout the short walk to the office.

Her head spun at finding how little it resembled anything that she'd imagined. The click of their heels echoed lightly as they crossed the walnut parquet flooring, and the walls covered in carefully brushed gold suede bathed them in old-world elegance. They embraced a different era, one she felt she'd be hard-pressed to think of a reason to leave.

"I'm so glad to see you both. Please make yourselves at home," El said, after brief introductions. Enveloped in the comfort of the leather armchairs in varying tones of olive green, the prominent centerpiece in El's office ensnared Anaya's attention. At first, it appeared to be a giant pincushion or a globe hacked in half. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a keyboard of sorts, with an unfamiliar arrangement of the alphabet on brass keys.

"The Hansen ball designed by a principal of the Royal Institute for the Deaf-Mutes." El's cool grey eyes absorbed the details with a smile. "All our offices are decorated with mementos that signify our inclusive teaching methods based on love rather than punishment."

Anaya's feelings rotated like a tumble dryer from excitement to fear, doubt to hope, and she kept slipping into and out of the meeting with El like a dream. From the minute she'd found out her parents' financial losses would prevent her changing course, adrenaline had taken over. She refused to be defeated even before the first day of her new life ended. That resolve came from the second chance Greg had given her, and being thirty-five years old in mind, at least.

How readily we crush our dreams, without even turning over the first stone, so willing to be the victims of circumstance! She felt utterly miserable on behalf of all the teenagers the world over and allowed herself a few minutes more self-pity for the life she'd wasted, and the ones so many more would throw away. Doing as you pleased at this age, without seeking the help and advice of those qualified to give it, equaled marching into a minefield.

El laid out so many options for students who wanted an education they could not finance. From student loans to grants for other unmet needs, colleges offered a whole range of financial help. A variety of different work and study combinations also existed, as long as she refused to take no for an answer. Many of the options were ruled out because of Anaya's grades. However, if she committed to improving them and ensured that they stayed up, maintained a good attendance and a decent course load, she could achieve her goal in several ways.

She finally let the relief sink in. Her eyes moved to her mother. She'd observed, for the most part, letting her daughter take the lead. But the warm look of heartfelt gratitude she gave El when they got up to leave would've melted a glacier.

Hi all!Thank you for reading! What did you think of this chapter? Anything you would like to see more of?Please do let me know what you think in a short comment below

Hi all!
Thank you for reading!
What did you think of this chapter? Anything you would like to see more of?
Please do let me know what you think in a short comment below. I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks so much,
G.