XI

2001, Seventeen Years Backwards

"Do you think we can check out some places closer to JBU?"

At first, her parents looked up from the listings for rent they were poring over, like they'd heard her wrong in their preoccupied state of mind.

Anaya felt obliged to expand. "I would like to continue to live with you, at least for the first few years. If you both don't mind, that is." She flashed a toothy smile at them. Flattery? THAT'S what I resort to when trying to help them out, yet throw them off the scent?

"Of course, we don't, honey! But wouldn't you be giving up the whole newly-discovered freedom thing?" Her mother gave her a knowing look, apparently all too aware that there was more to Anaya's desire to live with them. "You don't need to sacrifice that to help us with our finances."

"Freedom's overrated." Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt. "Besides, I'll have plenty of time for that later, when my folks are old and feeble, and I don't want to be burdened by them."

"Well, we'd love to have you! While we still have our teeth." Her father folded his lips and gave her his best toothless grin.

And so, they started the search all over again, and were rewarded with substantially cheaper properties with extra room in the less commercialized areas. They then divided up the papers and made the calls, filling in viewings for the afternoon on the schedule her mom put up. The green slots allocated precisely forty-five minutes for inspection, followed by a blank thirty minutes to travel to the next property.

Her mother was the fastest, choosing a chic two-bedroom apartment for their first viewing. The pictures on the listing were of the inside, and they were impressive. Polished marble countertops, soft suede chairs, all in a modern color scheme of grey, white, and navy blue. It was affordable on their tight budget, and Anaya was sure they could declutter and work with fewer than four bedrooms. She felt encouraged as they neared the location.

And then they came upon it. It was painted in the most cat-retch shade of beige you ever beheld. The walls seemed gnawed at by the wind, and the foundation showed cracks the size of tree branches. They could see the agent standing outside by her yellow car as promised, distracted by the paperwork she was rechecking.

"Don't wave, don't look. Whatever you do, don't stop!" Her mother's tone was deadly serious. Inside the car, all noise perished. Until her dad burst out laughing. Anaya couldn't stop herself, and her mom joined in after they were in the clear. It was just too comical not to. "All right, wise guy," she mocked, "let's see how much better you do!"

Her father chose a three-bedroom townhouse in a gated community. The complex boasted a clubhouse, pool, tennis, and a basketball court. Anaya's interest was piqued at the twenty-four-hour security. The price was even lower than what her mom had found, so it made her a little suspicious of why they would need to be guarded like that.

This agent met them at the entrance and took them on a tour first. True to his word, the facilities were all there. With something extra added on too – more tenants. Each townhouse occupied only one of three floors, stacked on top of each other. Still hopeful, they walked into the one advertised on the middle level. It seemed promising enough when they peeked through the entrance at the ample open space, with white on white appliances against cream floors.

All four of them walked in and were deafened by the fall of their footsteps. The sound bounced off the walls and hit them once again, like hammers on nails. By the time they reached the second bedroom, another thumping had joined it. They stopped to listen. It was their neighbor-to-be from below, knocking on their ceiling with what Anaya could only imagine as a broomstick, bellowing, "Keep it down up there!"

The poor agent's face reddened, and they tried to tiptoe back towards the other bedroom on the opposite side, only to catch the sound of springs creaking from above. Too surprised to continue, they halted mid-step. That would be their gravest mistake or saving grace, as the moans joined in, growing ever faster and louder the longer they listened.

Her dad cleared his throat. "We'll get back to you." He led them straight out.

Back in the car they strapped on their seat belts and slumped. "Not doing too well, are we?" he asked, his voice barely audible as he frowned.

"We've still got Anaya's place to see. What did you say it would cure you of, honey?"

"Barn envy."

Hi there!Thank you for being here! Are you liking this chapter so far? Did you see any missed opportunities you think I should work on? Please don't forget to let me know what you think in a short comment below

Hi there!
Thank you for being here!
Are you liking this chapter so far? Did you see any missed opportunities you think I should work on?
Please don't forget to let me know what you think in a short comment below.
Thanks so much,
G.