ONE

Trigger warning: this story contains mentions of depression, self harm, blades, violence, blood and sex.

Trey took a deep breath as he shifted his gaze towards the metal sign resting above the tall wooden door.
Highwest institute, his new school for now.
He had overheard people talking about this strange place.

They said it was more of a juvenile discipline institute full of delinquents and the worst tempered people.
They were sent to Highwest institute because no school had accepted them. The worst students.

Trey slowly pushed the massive door with his small hand.
It creaked open and he shyly stepped inside the building as his eyes adjusted to the darkness of the long corridor in front of him.

His parents had already filled in the inscriptions online so he only needed to fetch his dorm keys at the headmaster's office. And survive the school year of course.

He walked down the corridor, observing the inside of the imposing building. The walls were tall and the white paint had fainted over the years turning into a greyish colour.

There were cracks every where and Trey asked himself how this place still hadn't collapse. He gripped his backpack straps in apprehension as all his senses became alert.
He instantly studied every shadow and listened to every sound.

Trey gradually forced himself to relax remembering that his only way to finish this year in one piece here was to go unnoticed and not draw any attention.

He finally reached the principal's office and knocked twice on the door.
" Come in. You must be Mr Trey Johnes right?" Spoke the principal.
" Y-Yeah that's me" replied Trey averting his gaze.
"Alright then, here is your dorm key, don't loose it." Continued the man as he handed him a key.

"Here is your time table with all your classrooms and your room number. You'll be in room 210.
That's on the second floor at the end of the corridor. The dining room is on the first floor where you will have all your meals.

Breakfast is at seven in the morning, lunch at one in the afternoon and diner at eight. You will have three hours of physical education from eight to eleven.
This is all. Do you want me to show you the way to your room Mr Johnes?"

Trey knew too well that showing up in front of the others with the principal would be delivering himself on a golden tray to them. He knew that he stood out like a sore thumb and that if the principal came with him, he would definitely loose any chance of having a relatively normal school year.

After a short silence, Trey answered the principal.
"Thanks but I can manage Mr..."
"It's Mr Grant"
"It's all right Mr Grant, just where are the stairs?"
"Turn right after my office"
"Thank you goodb-"

"Trey!" The principal cut him.
"Such a pity what happened to the Anders... What an incredible family, if you have any questions or troubles, please comme see me, Ms Anders was a very dear friend of mine."

"Yes thank you." Whispered Trey eyes becoming watery. He closed the door and tried to suppress his tears.

Trey headed towards the old flight of wooden stairs and discovered a new corridor slightly brighter than the previous one.
As he walked, his steps echoed through the floor and against the walls, adding to the dark atmosphere.

Trey was deep in thought. He knew that his small size and boyish features made him stand out. He rubbed his red eyes and decided to keep his head down as he passed all the students lazing around in the corridors.

They were pretty much identical: tall and bulky, looking as if they wanted to trip him and smash his head against the wall.
Trey kept a blank expression.