08: That's my girl!

"So, have you ever tried playing basketball?"

"Once," I tie up my wavy hair and shuffle into the gym after him. "But I never manages to get the ball into the basket."

"And then?"

You don't know when to stop, do you Jared? It's like he's drilling me for a job interview.

"I gave up after that." I sigh. "My younger brother loves it though."

"Good kid." He mutters.

"What are we doing?"

"I've come to the conclusion that you need to work out more." Jared says shaming me in front of no one in particular but it still irks me.

"Hey!"

"You fainted not long ago." He states and shuts me up.

"And everyone knows the best way to exercise is basketball!" He shouts from the equipment room and reappears with a basketball in his hand.

"You would say that, Reed. You're the star player of the varsity basketball team."

"Let's do this!" He shoots a ball at me and I flinch holding up my arms. Surprisingly, the ball falls directly into my arms.

"Whoa," Jared claps. "Good one. For a beginner anyways." He adds quickly and I visibly roll my eyes at him.

He's such a jerk.

"Now, try to shoot for the basket." He says pointing to the basket hanging from a long pole.

That basket look miles away from down here. I take a deep breath and runs across the gym to take a running head start.

The ball is bouncing at my feet as I dash across the floor. As soon as I'm close enough, I take a flying leap and throw the ball in the air.

Everything seems to be moving in slow-motion. Jared's eyes never leave the ball as it sails through the air like a hovering U.F.O. My feet hit the ground and I topple over just in time to see the ball touch the tip of the basket and fall to the ground.

I clench my fists and close my eyes. I missed. Again. Just like the first time.

The only sound that can be heard is the ball which is still bouncing on the gym floor.

Suddenly, it stops bouncing and I spot Jared making his way towards me the ball under his arm.

He walks up to me and I imagine him to start yelling any minute now. Instead, he holds out a hand which I take and pulls me to my feet.

There is a moment of silence.

"I said I was bad at basketball." I attempt to break the ice.

"The angle at which you shot was all wrong." He says quietly.

"Oh."

But he's not done yet.

"Your timing was late too. And it was a wild shot." He continues and stops when I hang my head. "But I'll let you off this time, Blondie."

He grins at me and I smile back feeling relieved.

"Watch the master, my dear apprentice." He winks at me and throws the ball into the basket deftly. It falls right through it and I gape.

I instantly start clapping like a freak.

"Ah, it feels so good when I do that." He says and brushes his hair.

"Teach me then." I say.

"Challenge accepted." He says and then begins my basketball training, the funniest experience of my life.