11: What secrets lurk in those lockers?

"So, Will is secretly gay? I'd never have guessed." Jared snoops through some unsuspecting dude's personal life.

I stand about five feet away from the locker so that, provided we're found out later, my fingerprints won't be on this thing.

"I don't see any charger. Just a bunch of photos with his boyfriend." Jared continues looking through the locker and then shuts it with a huge sigh.

"We're not getting anywhere Blondie." He tells me.

"Maybe we should call it a night." I suggest.

"Uh-uh! We are not giving up like this. If you want to, go right ahead." He says.

This is the twentieth locker we've...he's examined.

I refused to touch them but I couldn't help peeking at the notes popping out of them.

"Fine, just one more locker and then we're outta here." I order him.

"Okay." He says surprisingly agreeing.

"'André needs to get a nose job done.'" Jared reads out at point and I look over his shoulder to find him flipping through a wad of sticky notes.

"'Matt is like the worst boyfriend ever.'"

"What's this? 'Jared's just a stupid coward and idiotic show off.' Hey!!!" He shouts angrily and I chuckle to myself. Until he reads out the next one...

"'Karen is a hopeless hooker who needs to get a life.' Bullshit! Who is this?" Jared curses almost crushing the paper.

"Excuse me?" I gasp in horror. Who would say this about me?

"Who wrote this?" He flips through the books and the name Megan pops up.

"It's my ex." He gasps at the revelation. Is he talking about Megan Fitz his girlfriend from the sophomore year?

"Megan? But she doesn't even know me. Why would she write something like this?" I demand.

Jared stuffs the notes back in at flings the locker shut with a resounding bang and avoids my question.

"Jared? Why would she do this? I think there's more to the story about you breaking up with her, isn't there?" I say.

He doesn't answer but fidgets with the hairpin.

"Here, you can take it back." He says. "We've done enough searching for today."

"Answer me, Jared. Why has she used such an impulsive word for me?" I shout trying to blink back tears fiercely. "Why?"

Jared reaches out and puts an arm around me. I burst into tears wetting his T-shirt.

"Tell me, why Jared?" I sob as he strokes my back silently.

"Because she's a bitch." He says in a hard voice. "She won't get away with this. I promise you."

He holds me closer to his chest and leads me back to the teachers' lounge.

We sit down on the couch where I continue crying my heart out until I run out of tears and strength. Jared keep patting my back soothingly and I soon drift into a bleak and pensive sleep.

***

*Lock-In: Day 3*

I open my eyes at about midnight to find Jared gone. I can't feel his presence anymore. The couch feels cold and empty now. I miss his feel. Where could he be? He's not on my couch or any other couch as a matter of fact.