Chapter 1

Introduction

        Christa Rose is, to name a few of the things she's been called by everyone at her school, a weird, mental, stupid, fat, and of course, ugly senior attending Glenbrook South High School. She'd moved with her parents up to Chicago in her sophomore year and has been an outcast ever since. She kept to herself so people didn't know her, and that's why the 'popular kids' jumped on the chance to spread rumors and bully her over them. It was never ending. Everyday in the halls they'd find her and scream profanity or just scream horrible names at her. When there were few people around, that's when they got physical. They'd push her into lockers and pin her down, not allowing her to move, before pouring coffee or iced water all down her (to name one thing). She was strong and never let anything they did get to her, but it started to when her dad turned to drinking a month ago.

        Her father had been sober for thirteen years, never even picking up an alcoholic beer in that whole time. But when he went to a party with a bunch of friends, he'd thought he had picked up a non-alcoholic beer but found himself downing twelve normal beers instead. He came home and was completely wasted, and he was not a good person when he was drunk. When he came home, Christa was watching a horror movie with her mom. They both looked over and immediately knew he was flat out wasted. Aside from the stench of alcohol pervading through the room, he was losing his balance just standing there. Her mom ran over and grabbed him to try and bring him upstairs to lie down but he refused and started yelling at her as loud as he could. No one could understand him; he was slurring almost all of his words that weren't curse words and since neither of us were responding to him, he was getting even more pissed off by the minute. Christa had pulled herself from the room and ran upstairs to her room. The one thing she can't handle is yelling and always had to leave as soon as possible.

        It had become a nightly thing since then; her mother refused to admit he had a problem and tension was building between Christa and her. Shit was going to hit the fan soon, she knew since all the bullying, drunkenness, and her bipolar disorder would blend together to create an overpowering chaos inside of her.

~~

        Patrick Stump is just an ordinary guy who had a happy life, aside from his parents getting divorced when he was young and being teased at his old school. He was fairly popular, not the heart throb of the senior class but also not the loser being teased everyday, but he usually kept to his smaller group of friends. He has a best friend named Anna who was always there by his side ever since they met in grade school. She was just like a sister to him, but never a lover.

        Everyone thought Patrick and Anna were dating, they even tried in middle school which ended up horribly failing, but Patrick didn't have any feelings of love towards her in that way. No, he loved a girl who moved up to Chicago when she came in for sophomore year; this girl was named Christa. He decided to start talking to her and now over the past few years, they've become great friends. And all through the time they grew in their friendship, his love grew too. He cared about her, more than himself sometimes, but never expressed any liking towards her so he wouldn't scare her away. He wanted to, very much so, but he would never risk ruining the friendship, so he kept quiet about it and never told a soul.

        Lately, though, he's been noticing that she's been acting strange. She was usually very happy and energetic, but the past month or so she had been turning it down some. She was still very bubbly, but sometimes she looked on the brink of tears. And it hurt not knowing if she needed help or how to help.