Chapter 2

Patrick

        Christa has been acting weird all day; she refuses to look at me whenever we pass each other in the halls, she has been late to all her classes, and she wore jeans, a long sleeved shirt, and a jacket today. After knowing her for three years, this is the first time shes ever worn both a long sleeved shirt and jeans, I don't know why but she doesn't like having her whole body covered and always wears shorts even when it's a snowy day like today. Something is up and I plan on asking her.

        “Patrick?” I get snapped back from my thoughts by someone shaking my arm. “Patrick?” I hear the person call once more.

        “Hmm?” I manage to grunt out while turning my head and seeing that it was my friend and lab partner Anna who was causing of the shaking.

        “Patrick?” She asks once more to make sure I'm paying attention. I blink a few times and give my head a quick nod to indicate that she can continue. “Patrick, the lunch bell rang like a minute ago and you didn't rush out the door like normal, and I saw you weren't scribbling down notes like you always do in science. Are you okay? I mean, it's just not like you to space out like this.” She places her hand on my arms and rubs it slightly, her eyes pleading for me to confide all my thoughts to her.

        “Nah, I'm fine, just a little tired from lack of sleep last night” I shrugged off her hand and saw the look of disappointment in her eyes as soon as I said that. I offered a weak smile towards her.

        “Well, okay then... just know you can tell me if anything is wrong.” She pokes my side a few times, “Now we should get out of here. For one, Mrs. Caren is giving us the death eye, and two, everyone is probably waiting for us at McDonalds, remember? I invited a bunch of friends to meet up there after I asked you if you wanted to go? They'll probably be disappointed if the star pupil doesn't show.” She poked my side harder which caused me to flinch back slightly and caused her to laugh in response.

        She dragged me out of class after I'd put all my books into my backpack, and we stopped at our lockers to drop our bags off and grab our money.

        “So who all is coming?” I asked after closing my locker.

        “Umm..” she waited a minute before answering, making it seem like we had invited the whole senior class. “I'm not really sure...” she closed her locker and we made our way towards the courtyard and toward my convertible. “ All I know is that we invited Bryan, Andrew, Brendon, and Lana. I don't know who they decided to bring along but knowing them, they probably spread the news.” We reached my car and I unlocked her door for her.

        “Ooh we got a gentlemen over here guys.” She shut the door and laughed as I jumped into the drivers seat.

        “Did you possibly...” I paused mid-sentence and started the car, “.. invite Christa?” I looked at Anna who just put on her sunglasses and handed me mine.

        “Yeah, I mean, I asked her if she wanted to come yesterday in Calculus and she seemed enthusiastic enough when she replied,” she cleared her throat and made a really bubbly expression on her face, “Yeah! I'd love to! See ya then!” She flicked her hair which caused me to chuckle a bit. Christa was always really gregarious.

        “Patrick, you aren't telling me something. What's wrong?” She gave me those pleading brown eyes again.

        “What? Nothing is wrong I swear Anna.” I gave her a quizzical look at the frown that took its place on her face.

        “Don't lie to me, I just saw you go from happy and chuckling to having that worried expression on you face,” she pointed to my face and I realized that I had started to worry about Christa again and frowned, “there's something you aren't telling me.” She put on another jacket when we both realized that I was pulling into the McDonalds parking lot