Chapter 2 | Zach

Katie's pov:

"You need to listen to me, I am not going to do it, it's not safe. I don't care if I pledged myself to the Whispers, I am not going to lead a suicide mission."

"Well, then you won't be getting your usual pay, mabye a fourth of that amount."

"This isn't fair."

"Nothings fair in the Whispers."

*1 month later*

"Hello Mr. Scott are you ready for another round of meds?" I asked.

"It's not like it's the 78th round or anything." He replied.

I laughed at his joke, and he laughed with me. Mr. Scott has had cancer for a year and a half now, and each time I see him he looks healthier and healthier. I am always glad to see him making jokes and and smiling, it makes me feel like I am helping him, with this disease.

"One quick poke and then you get to wait around for awhile, isn't that fun." I asked.

He laughed. "Fun, I can't wait to sit around and do nothing." He smiled at me as to say thank you. Before he knew it the time was up for him to go home, he has completed his 78th round of treatment.

*1 hour later*

I hear my phone ringing from across the room. When I check who is calling, I see it's the Emergency Help Line. So I answer it confused...

"Um.. hello?" I asked.

"Hi. I'm Amy from the Emergency Help Line, I have a 67 year old man named Scott Daniels, possibility with cancer, I am dropping him off at your hospital in about 3 minutes, he is declining fast." Amy replied.

I frantically pause, oh my god Mr. Scott! I thought.

"Ok thank you, drop him off at the lower entrance and we will have everything we need waiting when you arrive,"

"Ok, thanks see you soon," She told me, "Bye."

"Bye."

When I set down the phone I yell, "We have a 67 year old man, Mr. Scott, coming in who has cancer. Right now he is unresponsive, and declining fast, bring everything we might need down to the lower entrance, NOW! They will be here in 2 minuets."

After my so called speech, I sat down and took a moment to think. Mr.Scott seemed fine this morning, what happened between an hour ago and now? I asked myself.

. . . . . . . . . .

I heard Trish yelling for me to talk to Zach.

"I will be back shortly." I told my new patient.

I fast walked down the hall to Zach's room. Zach came in a few months ago with his left leg completely blown off from and explosive in Afghanistan. He has shiny brown hair, and deep brown eyes.

"You ok Zach?" I asked.

"I have been having the dream again." He replied.

"The one about Afghanistan and you losing your leg?"

"That's the one." He replied. I laughed.

He looked at me like he was thinking out something, then I interrupted his thoughts.

"Thanks for giving me a small laugh I really needed it." I told him.

"Why what happened?"

"I was taking care of a guy for years, helping with cancer treatment, and we became close friends. Well yesterday I get a call that he was being rushed back to the hospital after his 78th round of meds. They told me that he was declining fast, and they didn't think he would last the night. So, I sat by his bed telling him my last goodbyes, when I here the sound of the heart rate monitor flat lining."

I start to cry, and I feel Zach comforting me by giving me one of his world famous bear hugs.

"It's ok Katie you must have been strong." He asked me in a comforting voice.

"Not as strong as I could have been." I replied.

"Think of it this way," he told me. "He died almost right when he got set up to the machines, right?" I nodded. "I think he must have been waiting for you to say goodbye before he left  you."

"I think you might not be crazy on this one Zach." I laughed. "Thank you for letting me talk about this with you!" I smiled.

"No problem, it was nice." He told me.

"I think I need to get going. But before I leave, is there anything you need me to do for you?" I asked.

"Yes, well, it's to much to ask." Zach sadly replied.

"Come on, tell me."

"Can I see Shadow." Shadow is Zach's K-9 dog from back in Afghanistan. She tried to protect Zach from the explosive and she was caught in the explosion. The last time he saw her, she was in critical condition. But since then, she is on a great road to recovery.

"I don't know," I replied in a saddened tone. "You aren't supposed to get out of bed."

"Can't you just help me in a wheelchair?" Zach asked.

"No I'm sorry Zach I wish I could, but if you want I could go check on her and show you a video on how she is doing?" I sadly replied.

"Ok, I guess it's better than nothing."

"I really wish I could take you to see her, but I just can't." I told him.

"I know. I need to get some sleep anyway."

"Ok, get some rest, see you soon."

As I walked out of the room I stopped near doorway, thinking, hopeing that Zach didn't find out who I really was.