Chapter 4 | Whispers

Katie's past:

*August 27th 2004*

"He has been on life support for over a week now Katie, I think it is time to pull the plug." The doctor tells me.

"No I can't, he is the most important person in world to me, I just can't let him go, not yet." I replied.

"Fine, but I'm only giving him two more days, and no more." He angrily told me.

"Ok." I could taste the saltiness of a small clear tear fall on my lip.

*Two day later*

"It's time Katie, I gave him two days, and nothing has changed, you have to let him go." The doctor tells me.

I shrink into a tight ball. I feel a million tears roll down my pail colored face, like an overflowing river that is sweeping a town away. I wipe away the tears and slowly stand. I nod my head telling the doctor that I understand and that it is time to let him go.

The doctor pulls out his breathing tube, and I hear him start to cough, trying to get oxygen into his collapsing lungs. I see his face start to turn a violet then his coughing slows and his face turns pale, and I know he is gone forever. "See you soon," I tell him "see you soon."

*Months later*

I got myself involved in the Whispers by a small sheet of lemon yellow paper, that had been slipped under my old oak wood door of my apartment. It said...

Now when I had read this paper, I had just finished drinking my depression away, after losing my dad to lung cancer

Now when I had read this paper, I had just finished drinking my depression away, after losing my dad to lung cancer. I had called the number because at that time in my life, my mind was not in the right place. But what I did not know was, that I could possibly die from the assignments they gave me.

My first assignment was to capture a weapons expert from the U.S Army named Ash Fisher. They told me that we needed him to make "safe" weapons for us. I was a little wary at first, but then they told me that if I came out alive with him, I would get $$$. When they said if I was pulled into realization that I could get killed, I mean it was the U.S Army after all.

I headed to the disguise room. There I was fitted into a camouflaged uniform so I would look like I was a soldier. The uniform was breezy, but soft. The colors were dark, torn, and dirty shades of green, my favorite color.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I arrived at the base blindfolded so I couldn't tell anyone my location. I was sent with many other "real" soldiers, sent for replacements. When we took off our blind folds, we saw dead men and women who had been shot, but only because we had arrived at the back of the hospital. I looked around and saw horror in everyone's eyes, and was reminded about how dangerous this project was going to be.

We were all handed guns by Ash Fisher, the weapons expert. Great I thought, I have to kidnap the most fit and muscular guy here.

As everyone else cleared the area and got ready to charge, I ran over to Ash, stopping him in his tracks.

"Get on the battle field soldier, we are getting ready to charge!" He hollered at me.

"You need to come with me Ash..Ash Fisher." I replied. He looked at me shocked and confused.

"No one ever talks to me like that! What is your name soldier." He asked.

I think of what the leader of the Whispers told me before I left, don't tell him your real name. Tell him that he is needed to help with fixing weapons for the U.S Navy. Blind fold him, and bring him here. Good luck. I return to reality and tell Ash my "name".

"My name is Fall," I told him. "Fall White."

"Well Fall, WHAT DO YOU WANT!" He screams at me.

"It's not me who wants you," I say. "The U.S Navy needs you to fix some of there weapons, and they recruited me to come and get you."

"Now?" He asks.

"Yes now." I reply.

"Let me get some of my tools." He arrives about 20 minutes later will a body bag stuffed full with parts and tools to help him "fix the U.S Navy's weapons." He hands me a blind fold and I put it on him. I walk him to my disguised Army vehicle, I help him up the step and throw him in.

"Ouch!" He yells, "anyone teach you manners?"

"Yes...yes they did." I replied.

"Well then use them."

I close the door, and lock it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We got to the Whisper's base and I hopped out of the car. I turned around just in time to see Ash opening the door. I ran over and shoved the door shut, and when I did I could see a small finger tip turning dark blue and purple like a bruise, then when I thought it couldn't get any worse, the tip dropped to the ground. I could hear Ash screaming with pain, everyone at the base was looking straight at me with confused eyes. The leader of the Whispers came over.

"Did you get him? Or is that some little girl crying for her mama?" He asked.

"It's Ash Fisher sir, I got him with no problem at all." I replied.

"That's good to hear. Now bring him to the first open cell."

"Yes sir."

I brought Ash to the first open cell, which was in fact the first one because they couldn't keep anyone in these cells cause they were SO out dated, they couldn't even keep a cat in one. All the prisoners they had, escaped within the first day. But the first one was the most modern.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
A month has past, Ash helped with the weapons, listened to their orders and commands, and stayed alive with only a few scratches. I went to visit him in his cell, and he was gone. I knew I would never see him again. I had lost another person in my life, and it was all because of me.