Chapter 9: Abominations

"Oaths broken?"

"No, Lord."

"Hubris?"

"I do not believe so, Lord."

Hades examined the scroll in front of him. "Two-hundred and forty-three sacrifices. Does that seem correct?"

"I did not count, my-lord." The god hummed a reply.

"Have you committed any murders? Accidental or otherwise."

The shade seemed to pause for a moment, sucking in a breath instead of speaking. While it no longer needed to breath, old habits died hard. "N-no," the form stuttered.

"Need I remind you that you cannot lie to a god?"

The shade, known as Alexander in his life, could not meet his gaze. "I-I-I-"

Hades raised a single brow. "You?" His voice remained gentle and calm. Spirits had enough to deal with when first returning to the realm and did not need an angry god added to that. Especially over a matter Hades knew to be minor.

"I chose it as a mercy, my Lord. Others choose to see it as anything but." Alexander shuffled nervously.

"Your guilt says otherwise."

"Ending a life is still ending a life, is it not?"

"Would you do it again?"

"End my father's suffering? Give him a quick death instead of starving, whipped and bleeding, for days?" For the first time during his trial Alexander met the god's gaze. "Yes. I would."

"Even though he was a criminal?"

"Criminal or not! A man does not deserve to be strung up in the center of town, beaten and bleeding and starving, for stealing food! Especially not food for his family!"

Hades only smiled at that. Something wicked and cruel- at least to an outsider. The scroll had listed his crimes, as well as achievements. It listed how and when and where, but not a why. Without the context Alexander would have been awarded the Fields of Punishment, at least for a time. Without, however....

"Asphodel Meadows," he shouted. The decree echoing through the amphitheater he used as a judgement hall.

Alexander was awestruck. Part of him wanting to argue for what he felt was the correct ruling, though he knew full well what that entailed. Another part was grateful for the mercy, or perhaps it was a mistake. He was not aware that a nymph had already taken his arm and was leading him away.

"Next," shouted an attendant. The next shade brought forth was small. A child. Hades could see the echoes of dark hair, done up in a braid, and a short dress ripped to shreds. She held onto a nymph woman's leg.

Something made the god shift in his chair uncomfortably.

"Do you know how you got here?"

"The hooded man brought me. He said my wait was over."

"How long were you waiting to cross?"

"A long long time."

"A century?"

"That's what mama said."

"And, where is she? Your mother."

"She didn't come with," her voice dripped with sugar and honey. It was sweet and young and innocent. Her grip tightened. What was the nymph's name? Le, Lea, Leuce- no not Leuce. She had the day off. The nymph was a lampad, he knew that much. E? E something....

"Did she come ahead of you?"

"No. She just left."

Hades looked at the girl's eyes. Blank and- bloody. At first glance he thought it was another echo of her death. Then he looked to Empusa, that was her name. Lips set in a smile, showing just a hint of teeth. She had some of the warmer skin in the entirety of the underworld, like she was the torch she often bore herself. Her eyes were silver. The kind a person first saw when they met her.