chapter 2

I watched as the highway signs ripped past us; alerting us of how far we had come and how much time we had left before we would reach our destination.

Brunsworth College.

"Are you excited Alisha?" My father questioned from the driver seat.

"Excited. Nervous. Crapping bricks."

"No need to be nervous." My father spoke to ease my racing nerves. "It's a great experience. New friends. New adventures. Great education."

"That's weird." I peered out the window.

"What?" He peeked at me from the driver side.

"Aren't you supposed to be giving me the whole lecture? I mean your daughter is going to college over two hours away."

He laughed.

"I trust you kid."

"Good." I leaned back.

Was it strange that I was having mixed feelings about this conversation? I mean, of course I was happy that he did not feel uncomfortable letting me go however he doesn't even seem concerned for me or the activities I may get it into.

But I guess I should expect him to feel optimistic about me going.

Especially when his only daughter was never one to engage in anything outside of books, family activities, and work, which made it easier for him to sleep at night.

It was fucking pathetic really.

It was pathetic that I had just turned nineteen and failed to do much in my life so far.

You have plenty of time. My mother would counter my complaints with that infamous line every time.

We pulled onto campus.

Houses. Dorms. Buildings. The entire street and lots seemed to be flooded with old and new students who were either here to start a new journey, or re-entering an existing one.

"This place looks pretty good so far. Clean. Large." My father examined as he passed the main halls and buildings.

"Park in that lot." I pointed. "Near the admissions office."

"Okay." My father pulled into the lot, swinging the car into an open slot before he cut the engine to the vehicle.

"What are you doing?" I intervened when I saw his hand on the driver side door handle.

"Um getting my ass out."

"No." I denied.

"And why not?"

"I don't need my dad following me into the admissions office."

"Alisha, this is college. No one cares if your parent is here." He gestured toward the window where a girl was passing with her mother and father. "Look, this little family is strutting by as well."

"We are not this little family." I pointed out.

My father was a large male with an eye catching physique and a voice that could be heard over a crowd.

"Look." He pulled at the handle, plucking open the driver door of his Yukon Denali. "I and your mother is covering thirty percent of the tuition of this school. You better be lucky I don't sit in the class with your ass."

Mumbling a few distasteful words, I got out of the vehicle.

Using the windows of truck to look at my reflection, I made sure everything seemed presentable. From my glasses to my curly course hair, and down to my blouse and my shoes.