17 - Close Call

Tora had been more than up for an adventure, and after a bit of group peer pressure, they had also convinced a reluctant Ben and Riley to join them.

And now, they all stood and waited as Justice pushed open the heavy set of double doors that led into the High Council chambers.

Getting here hadn't been difficult at all. At this time of night, there was but one guard at the entrance to the palace offices. And their group, led by Anton as her father, had seen them permitted in without a second glance.

The hardest bit had been keeping a straight face, and trying walk without tripping over her own feet. Once in, she'd stopped by her father's office, and after some trouble remembering where he kept his keys, they were soon unlocking the chamber doors.

They entered into a short corridor, which then opened up into a larger room at the end. Glass display cabined lined one side, and in the middle of the space sat an imposing round table. They tiptoed forward, everyone holding their breath until they confirmed the place was empty.

Justice broke into a giggle and skipped forwards. "This is where the High Council meets."

Ben walked up to the table and reverently ran his hands over the backs of the chairs. "I've heard that during their meetings there is a magic used that makes it so people can't lie."

Justice nodded. "Yes, an incense. Dad always threatened to use it on me when I was a kid. Though I have no idea why considering he could use compulsion if he wanted."

Tora laughed and muttered something to herself, which no one but Ben seemed to hear. He shot her a glare, to which she rolled her eyes.

Anton and Riley were peering in the glass cabinets to the side.

"What are these?" she asked.

Justice came over to where she pointed to several rows of jewellery. There was a wide variety, each arranged in pairs. Beneath them, etched onto the bronze plaques were the owners' initials.

"Oh, that's all the people stupid enough to have gotten themselves exiled."

Ben choked in the background and Anton tapped on the glass.

"That's morbid," said Anton. "Keeping their jewellery on display like a trophy."

"Ah, no," said Justice. "These can be used to resurrect them when their sentence is up. Gemini twins can resurrect any Immortal using something they were wearing when they died."

Anton made an interested sound and read out a couple of the names.

Ben cleared his throat again and Justice turned to find him glaring at her in absolute horror. She couldn't understand why, until Anton read out a familiar surname.

"A.R.E. and L.L.O Tinubu."

Tora's parents.

Tora had appeared beside her and was looking through the glass. She bent and levelled her eyes with a plain set of rings.

Cold washed through Justice. "Oh, I'm so sorry," she gasped.

Tora shook her head, afro waving side to side with the movement.

"It's okay," she said, icily, without lifting her gaze from the cabinet. "I never expected you to care." Tora put her hands on the glass and attempted to slide it open. It was locked. She clicked her tongue and rose to turn and lock a venomous gaze on her friend. "Like Father, like daughter."

Justice gulped and took an involuntary step backwards to which Tora laughed. Her mouth opened and closed a couple of times as she desperately sought for something to say that could take back the thoughtless words.