4 - crushing

Nora 

I wake up with an insane hangover, my temples throbbing repetitively as I pull my hair up into a ponytail. This week is going to be interesting. 

I need to get ready as quickly as possible or I won't make it to class in time. I brush my teeth, step into some tight tracksuits and a tube top, letting out a groan when I see my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I definitely need some makeup. 

Last night was definitely one of my wildest nights since college started, but this time I can't just stay at home and sleep it off. It was my best friend's birthday party and as per tradition, the girls and I went clubbing in Miami — had too much to drink, obviously — before passing out in the early hours of the morning on our beds. 

As I head downstairs, I realise my ears are still ringing from the club's booming music. Ugh, they really have to lower the volume before everyone ends up deaf. 

I enter the marble-floored kitchen, making myself some breakfast before jogging down to the garage. 

Every time I see my black-matte Porsche, I can't help but beam at it with pride. My parents gave me the car for my 20th birthday, under the condition that I took really good care of it. 

Turning on the engine, I search through my bag to make sure I've got everything — keys, notepad, pen and wallet. 

"Good to go," I say to myself as the garage door slides open, pulling out of the ramp. It had always been my dream to live in Florida, which is why I was so surprised when I found out my mom was being transferred to Miami from Manhattan. 

My mom is a surgeon, so she's always been keen on me going to college. Now that I'm almost done with my freshman year, she couldn't be any prouder of me. 

My father is a different story. He's been in prison for the past year for embezzlement; he was a stockbroker in New York, but our infinite pool of money went dry the second the FBI found him guilty of theft. 

My mom and I haven't had it emotionally easy since my dad's arrest, but with the cash he sends us from his funds helps a lot. That's the real reason he bought me the Porsche. 

The Floridian palm trees give a Californian-vibe as I drive towards the college building, the sound of students chattering spilling through my window. Quite a lot of them seem to stare at the car as I drive past, their mouths forming an 'o' shape in surprise. 

I find a parking spot close to the entrance, slamming the car door shut before dropping my keys inside my bag. My heels click on the curb and the stairs to the building, making a few people turn around to stare. 

My first class is Business Economics, which is in the large auditorium on the third floor. Cutting past people to get there on time, my eyes widen when I notice around fifty people already sitting down inside the auditorium. 

They're ten minutes early, why are they even here? I ask myself ironically, stepping inside the room.

A few people's eyes set on me as I walk towards the back, not wanting to sit close to the screen so I can go on my phone. I roll my eyes in annoyance when I find a seat next to a thirty-something-year-old man. 

Turning on my laptop for class, I notice the whole room goes silent, catching my attention immediately. My gaze sets on a handsome guy with dreads and a HypeBeast outfit, his pace suave as he heads towards the back of the room. 

I catch myself with my lips slightly parted when he sits next to me, forcing myself to stare at my laptop to keep my cool. The guy slumps back in the chair, turning around to talk to his friend who's a row behind him.