04 (1/2)

"The town that dreaded sundown"

Previously on Pride:

"Regina was dumbfounded to hear that her brother had already left for school when she woke up in the morning. That was so unlike him. She was starting to get frustrated, first when she had wanted to talk to Reggie yesterday evening at home their mother told her that he had gone somewhere with Archie and this morning he left before she had even woken up.

Little did she know but soon was to learn. The said ginger-head along side her brother had just started a war. The Third World War had started in Riverdale."

"Also, I've re-upped my online membership to RedStateMeat.com, so there will be no cruising for the foreseeable." Kevin's voice was the first thing Regina heard when she entered the office of the Blue and Gold.

Regina chuckled knowingly from the doorway and walked into the room, "All calm on the battlefield?" She asked as she sat down next to Kevin. Regina knew how the fights between Kevin and Betty always went. 

Kevin gave her a smile in return confirming what she had just said and the brunette girl returned it. But her smile fell when she saw the distressed look on Betty's face. "Bets, is something wrong?"

The blonde girl leaned back on her chair, "I was going through the Blue and Gold's mail... and I got a letter from the Blackhood killer."

Only silence, the whole room fell silent and Betty just handed the duo sitting next to her the letter, "He says he's doing it for me."

Kevin cleared his throat and started reading the letter out loud, "Betty, your words at the Jubilee inspired me. The town's sinners must show their contrition. If not, there will be more suffering and bloodshed. Enclosed is a cipher. It details where I will punish the next sinner. It is a test. Only you may solve it, Betty."

The hair in Regina's back stood up as Kevin finished reading the letter, "Dear lord." Betty looked at the two, panic shining through her eyes, "My speech inspired him. That stupid speech I wrote."

Regina turned so that she could look Betty straight into the eyes, "Betty. It's not your fault, there's no way that you could have known that some hypocritical lunatic would start a reformation in Riverdale and it sure as hell can't be happening only because of your speech. The guy is obviously just a total nutcase."

"So, the Blackhood was at the Jubilee." Kevin concluded and any trace of calmness that Regina's words from before may have brought in to the blonde's heart was thrown out of the window, "The entire town was there!" Betty exclaimed.

Regina rubbed her temples, she could already feel the migraine kicking in. "We have to give this to your dad." She said to Kevin who nodded, agreeing with her.

"The cipher, yeah sure, but not the letter." Betty then went on to mumble about something which Regina couldn't make out through the headache she was having. 

"Betty it's evidence." Kevin's voice was firm as he looked at Betty. "If we give this to your dad, he will tell my mom. And she will make damn sure, that I'm nowhere near this." Betty defended.

"Good." 

"No."

Regina looked through her back for a bottle of water and some painkillers, completely tuning out of the conversation as she did so.

Could things get anymore messier?

_

The sun had started to set in Riverdale and the whole town was buzzing after Alice Cooper had published the cipher earlier that day. Regina would have started cracking the code herself right away but first there were more urgent problems to handle. 

"Reggie?" Regina knocked on her brothers door and stepped in only to find him beating the punching bag hanging from his ceiling. He noticed her and took off his earphones which were blasting rock music loud enough for her to hear it even from the other side of the room.

"What's up?" Reggie stopped punching the bag and decided to take a break. Regina looked at him for a moment before taking a seat on the chair in front of his work desk (which he rarely even uses), "That's what I would like to know."

"Reggie, what's going on?" Regina stared at her brother hoping that his eyes or expression would betray any of what was going through in his head but they did no such thing, "What do you mean?"

Regina had to bite back a scoff at Reggie's feeble attempt to play innocent, "Well, for example, with The Red Circle?" Knowing that she wasn't going to back down seeing as she was starting to get snappy Reggie turned to his sister in defeat, "That was nothing, Gina. It was a good idea till it started getting out of hand and Coach Clayton benched the entire team."

Reggie could still see the hesitation in Regina's eyes and sighed, "Don't worry about it, it was just a momentarily thing, nothing to be concerned about." Regina cracked up a smile as Reggie ruffled her hair with a fond smirk and shrugged, "Besides, The Red Circle is all dead anyway."

_

Reggie had been so wrong. So, so wrong. The first thing Regina saw when she walked into school was t-shirts with a red circle, the Red Circle. And they were being passed around to every student. The brunette stared at the sight unhappily, "Yep, definitely not dead." 

Compared to the video this was way too sophisticated to have been done by any of they boys, so that left only one choice.

"Damn it, V. What have you done?" Regina grumbled in distress and started stalking through the hall but didn't make it too far before her phone started buzzing. It was a number that she hadn't saved, but she did have a guess about who it was.

"Pea?" Right after answering the call Regina regretted it. Staring from the point that she had let the old nickname slip from her lips so easily. But the voice from the phone was definitely familiar but definitely not who she had thought, "Not quite."

Regina's eyes widened as she stared at her phone as if it could confirm her suspicions and cursed herself in her mind when she saw that it definitely wasn't Sweet Pea's number. She then quickly pressed the phone to her ear again.

"Jug?"

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter but I'm going through a mild writers block but also I still wanted to give you guys even a little something. Also as some of you may have noticed I changed Regina's faceclaim from Sofia Carson to Bridget Hollit alongside I also made a new cover for the book. The summary also now has a very small but important bit from the story that will come out in a future chapter, be sure to check it out! - Sara