➵ 12 | B E O R N

"Keira, hop on!" Carden shouted.

"If you think I'll run and leave everyone behind, than you are wrong." I replied, running after the dwarves.

He sighed and flew over us. I ran next to Thorin.

"Nice run, isn't it." I said. "We should do that more often, it's good for your health I have heard."

Thorin chuckled. "You alway have a way to brighten up the mood, my love."

I smiled and shook my head. "Someone has to do it."

I saw him rolling his eyes. "You're unbelievable, love."

I smiled. "I know you like it."

We reached the end of the woods and ran through a grass field.

"Lead them to the house, love, I'm going to see if everyone is keeping up."

I nodded and ran further. I could already see the door of the house. Almost there.

A gigantic bear leaped out of the bushes. "In Durin's name," I whispered.

We reached the door and the dwarves tried to open it.

"It's the other way!" I shouted, already unsheathing my sword. They finally could manage to open the door and I ran in.

I turned to Carden.

"Carden!"

He flew in and I closed the door behind him. The snout of the bear tried to push the door open but we managed to lock the door.

"What in Durin's name was that?" Dori asked.

"That is Beorn," Gandalf answered the dwarfs question. "He's a skin-changer. The bear is wild but the man we can reason with. However, he isn't fond of dwarves. Rest, we will be safe tonight. I hope." The last part whispering.

I took my backpack off and laid down next to Thorin. I saw Daylor and Faelar laying down beside Fili and Kili. Those four had really found each other.

"Are you alrigh?" Thorin asked. I smiled at him and nodded. "Just tired."

He spread his arms and I curled up against his chest. He kissed my head and played with my hair.

"Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful hair?"

I smiled. "No but thanks, I get it from my mom."

I looked up and he looked down. "When this is over I would like to meet them."

I froze. "I'm afraid that isn't possible. They're dead."

His grip tightened. "Keira, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up."

I placed my hand on his chest and looked in his blue eyes.

"Don't. It isn't your fault."

He kissed me softly. "Will you tell me about them?"

I nodded and smiled sadly. "My dad's name was Cirdan and my mom's name was Margaery. My dad had short brown hair, it's the same hair that Daylor and Faelar have. I inherited his grey eyes. My mom was his opposite. She had red flaming hair and piercing green eyes. Daylor and Faelar have her eyes. I used to be jealous because of that."

Thorin brought his hand to my face. "Don't be." He said, "they are beautiful."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, my love." I said teasingly. He hummed. "I can get used to that." I laughed and placed my head back on his chest.

"Goodnight Thorin."

"Goodnight Keira."

When I woke up the next day, Thorin was still asleep. Slowly I stood up, trying not to wake him. Carden looked up.

"Ready for our morning flight?"

What?

"Yeah sure," I replied.

I walked outside with him and saw a huge man entering the house. He stopped when he saw us.

"Thank you for letting us stay here for the night," I began, not really knowing what to say. He grunted and turned to Carden. "You're a hippogriff," He sated. "What are you doing here?"

"Keira here is my soulmate," Carden said proudly looking at me. Beorn looked back at me. "You're Margaery's daughter," he said.

Why does everyone know my parents? They were just regular people, who happened to run into an orc pack and didn't survive it.

"Yes," I replied and his expression softened. "Your mother saved my life a long time ago, she's a good friend. How is she?"

I looked down and Carden froze. He'd probably heard my conversation with Thorin the other night.

"She's dead."

Carden put his wing around me, trying to comfort me and I leaned against him.

"I'm sorry to hear that, she didn't deserve it. Neither did Cirdan."

I looked back up again. "My brothers are still alive," I continued. "They're inside."

He nodded. "I'll make breakfast, how many of you are inside?"

I hesitated. Gandalf had said that he wasn't very fond of dwarves. Fortunately for me Gandalf decided to show up with Bilbo.

Beorn and Gandalf started a conversation and Carden and I sneaked out. I climbed on him and he took off.

"Everything seems so small up here," I said, "from up here, it's like there aren't any problems to deal with."

Carden nodded but said nothing.

My eyes wandered through the horizon until something caught my eye.

"Carden, look!"

I pointed at a lonely mountain.

"Erebor," Carden said. "We have to go through Mirkwood."

I looked down and saw the edge of a gigantic forest. Even from up here I could feel the darkness that hides between the trees.

"Let's head back," I said.

When we arrived, I saw everyone sitting around a huge table. Thorin looked up and smiled relieved at me.

"I hate dwarves," Beorn said, "but I hate orcs more and you are friends with Keira, Daylor and Faelar. What do you need?"