[1] through the trees

In loving memory of
Yoo Jeongyeon
November 1, 1996 – March 17, 2016
Forever in our hearts.

Once Nayeon saw the year of Jeongyeon's death, she immediately counted in her head. Four years. It had been four years since Yoo Jeongyeon passed away. She looked over to Taehyung, who was looking at the slab thoughtfully.

        "I was thinking about this for a long time," he started hesitantly, setting the container down on the ground. "Today's her birthday, and I've decided to take you to her and tell you things about her."

        Nayeon nibbled at the inner side of her cheek.

        "I've known Chanyeol since a long time ago, but you never knew who my ex was. I think that's just unfair and selfish of me."

        "I . . . I'm sorry for your loss, Taehyung."

        Taehyung averted his eyes from the slab to his girlfriend, a toothy smile slowly etching on his face. She truly wasn't expecting this.

        "It's all good, Nayeonie. Don't worry. I just need to know if you're okay with this. If you're feeling uncomfortable then it's . . ." He didn't finish himself.

        "I trust you, Taehyung." Always had. Always will.

        Taehyung nodded and started to do what he needed to do; lighting up the candles he brought and setting it on the ground, letting Nayeon put the bouquet and the box on the flat ledger, handing biscuits to his girlfriend and snacking on other food he brought. Taehyung had also prepared a thick picnic mat, expecting damp grass when they get there. It had just drizzled earlier. The couple sat quietly in peace while they ate their snacks, and Nayeon waited patiently for something to happen.

        "I hope you're really okay with this."

        "Taehyung, I am. I'll listen. Now go ahead." It was what Jimin also said.

Go ahead.

☂ ☂ ☂ ☂

Taehyung started with how he crossed paths with Jeongyeon. When he was still preparing for college, he found several horror DVDs in his cabinet. They were still in good condition, and his father had suggested he give those to someone if he's not interested in them anymore. At the time, Taehyung was yet to meet Seokjin, Yoongi, or anyone else in the circle he and Jimin were included in. Taehyung had Minjae, had Wheein, had Sungjae, and many more, but they weren't interested.

        Taehyung decided to take it up to Twitter and wait for someone to tweet him back for the DVDs. He had at least eighty followers at the time (a big deal to him back then) so he wasn't really worried of getting zero tweets regarding his DVDs. Days had passed, no one seemed really interested. Others kept tagging but haven't made a final decision as to whether or not they would go and claim those DVDs. He was thinking of deleting his own tweet before he had encouraged himself to tweet again, just to make sure.

Kim Taehyung  
@kHy_taetae
Still waiting for someone to get my DVDs. Horror. 10/10. Won't regret watching em. Help me get rid of em DVDs.
RETWEETS: 0   LIKES: 0
4:23 PM   17 SEPT 2014

        He tossed his phone down on his bed after tweeting and continued packing the things he would need for the university. His phone vibrated a couple of times but the only time he picked it up was when his suitcase was full. He skimmed through his notifications and found a follower mention someone. @cheongyeon111.

        The mentioned one had messaged him privately, saying they were interested in getting his DVDs, but they were also getting rid of some old DVDs. Action pack. Some from Japan and Taiwan but cheongyeon111 reassured it had Korean subtitles. Taehyung had thought it was a waste of time—because the whole purpose of giving those horror DVDs away was to expand his space at home—but then they messaged once again, pleading.