CHAPTER ONE

Courtney watched the condensation drip down the side of the Berry Cherry Fruit Tea. She clutched her necklace gingerly as her heart swelled with envy. The Fruit Tea wasn't hers. It belonged to Jean-Paul, her old roommate's sister's ex-boyfriend.

"I want to take you with me," she whispered to the Fruit Tea.

The Berry Cherry Fruit Tea said nothing because it was only a delicious Wendy's beverage and not a sentient being.

Courtney ran to the window and pulled down the shades. The hotel room suddenly became shrouded in darkness. Courtney knew what she was doing was wrong, but she couldn't stop. She was entranced, acting on primal instinct, her body overtaken by desire.

Courtney bit her lip. She wanted to take the Fruit Tea and run away, run from all the troubles of the world, leaving behind her old life to start anew. She closed her eyes and briefly imagined a life with the Fruit Tea. Traveling to exotic countries, experiencing new adventures, drinking the refreshing beverage to quench her thirst.

She picked up the drink, slowly drawing the straw to her lips, and quivered with anticipation.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Courtney froze. Jean-Paul was supposed to be on the beach, playing beach volleyball with Max and Francine. It was much too early for him to be back. She held her breath.