MUSIC - IS IT HARAM (Forbidden)? (2 of 4)

MUSIC - Yes or No? (Part 2 of 4 parts)

MUSIC - Did Modern Scholars Make it Halal?

Someonetold me, Dr. Yusuf Qaradawi says-"There's nothingin Islam against music"

- What do you say?

How did the companions and early scholars understand Islam's position on music, singing & dancing? What about nasheeds (Islamic songs)? You have "99 Names of Allah" on this website - is that singing? Is it music?

Music - Halal or Haram? - The Proof

(Detailed, long version)

- Real Scholar's Rulings Based on Critical Analysis and expose' of mistakes . . .

. . in Dr. Yusuf Qaradawi's "Al Halal Wal Haram Fee Islam" regarding hadeeths in Sahih Al-Bukhari.

Thank you for asking about Islam's ruling on singing and music. We too have been asked many times about this topic and it seems even when the people hear the answer fromthe proofs of Islam, they want to keep on asking and even arguing againstAllah's rulings. Amazing isn'tit?

Anyway, weofferthe following ruling based on thework of Abu Bilal Mustafa Al-Kanadi in hopes it will bring closure to the subject for the true seekers of knowledge:

A Critical Analysis Of Quranic Texts And Commentaries

It is vital that one critically assesses the extent to which certain verses of the Quran allegedly stand as proof for against the legality of music and singing. Some of those verses which might be misconstrued to indicate that music, singing, dancing etc. are permissible are mentioned first. They are then followed with a sample of verses which certain scholars have claimed to be proof of prohibition regarding this issue.

Verses Claimed To Indicate the Legality of Music

The following verses regarding the Psalms of Dawud (prophet David), peace be upon him, is case in point.

The First Verse:

“And verily, We did favor some of the prophets over others, and to Dawood We gave the Psalms.”

How does this verse purport to be proof for those who claim legality? It is a common misconception of certain Muslims, especially those having a western background or living in the west-that Dawood (peace be upon him) composed the Psalms and sang them to the accompaniment of music.

There are even some commentators of English translations of the Quran who fall prey to the same error. For example, Abdullah Yusuf Ali comments on this verse saying, “The spiritual gifts, with which the prophets came, may themselves, take different forms according to the needs of the world and the times in which they lived, as judged by the wisdom of God. A striking example here given is the gift of song and music as given to David . . .

The fact is that the Psalms were not composed by Prophet Dawood (David), peace be upon him, but rather were revealed to him by Allah, the exalted, as is clearly stated in the Quran. Additionally - now where in the Quran or in the authentic traditions is there any support for this accompanying the Psalms with musical instruments?

In order to properly understand the true nature of the Psalms (az-Zaboor), one must look to some of the dependable Quranic commentaries (tafaseer). Ibn Kathir (Allah’s mercy be upon him), explains the meaning of the term Az-Zaboor saying: “Az-Zaboor is the name of the book revealed by Allah to Dawood (David), peace be upon him.