MUSIC - IS IT HARAM (Forbidden)? (4 of 4)

MUSIC - What Did the 4 Imams Say?

"What about imams views on this topic?" - I heard someone say,  "All 4 schools of thought permit singing and music" - and I think someone said - no problem if in moderation - or something like that. What can you say about this?

Good Question - So, how did the companions and early scholars understand Islam's position on music, singing & dancing? What about nasheeds (Islamic songs)?

You have "99 Names of Allah" on this website - is that singing? Is it music?

Music - Halal or Haram? - The Proof

(Detailed, long version)

Views of the Followers of the Companions and the First Schools of Thought (mathahab)

This is part 4 of 4 parts dealing with the view of the followers of the companions of the prophet, peace be upon him, and those who were the next in line to follow them. The earliest of scholars and the imams who came after them of the fourn schools of thought (Hanifiyah, Maliki, Shafi and Hanbali).The following ruling based on the work of Abu Bilal Mustafa Al-Kanadi in hopes it will bring closure to the subject for the true seekers of knowledge (this is part 4- Views of the companions and Four schools of thought)

The View Of The Taabieen Imams And Scholars After Them

The view held by the companionswas generally adhered to by the taabieen and their followers, the four imams and the great majority of dependable Islamic scholars up to the present time.

From among the tabieen and their followers, there are such authorities as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, An-Nakhai and Al-Hassan Al-Basri.

Imam Abu Hanifah

Imam Abu Hanifah has perhaps the harshest view from amongst the four famous Imams of fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence).

His school of thought is the strictest, for he detested singing and considered it sinful. As for his disciples, they have explicitly confirmed the prohibition of listening to all musical amusements and pastimes, including wind instruments (mazamer) all types of tambourines, hand drums (duff) and even the striking of sticks (al-qadeeb).

They have asserted that such actions constitute disobedience to Allah and that the performer of such action is sinful, therefore necessitating rejection of his testimony.

They have further stated that it is incumbent upon the Muslim to struggle to avoid listening to such things, even if he were passing by or stationed near them (without any willful intention).

Abu Hanifah's closest disciple, Abu Yousuf, stated that if the sound of musical instruments (maazif) and amusements (malaahi) were heard coming from a house, the house could be entered without permission of its owners. The justification for this is that the command regarding the prohibition of abominable things (munkarat) is mandatory, and cannot be established if such entering rests upon the permission of the residents of the premises.

This is the madhab (position) of the rest of the Kufic scholars as well, such as Ibrahim An-Nakhai, Ash-Shabi Hammad and Ath-Thowri. They do not differ on this issue.

The same can be said of the general body of jurisprudence of Al-Basrah.

Imam Malik