To Err...

The level of precision in waking up Ophelia went almost unnoticed by her. No biological mother could have put so much patience and omniscience into such a banal and everyday act.

The thermostat dropped gradually until the room became sufficiently cold to be uncomfortable. The lights began almost imperceptibly to strengthen in a way the dawn could not have matched. As Cassia appealed to sight and touch, the A.I. program slowly brought the volume using unobtrusive background sounds – birdsong, light distant traffic, and hushed human voices all whilst scanning her charge, observing rapid changes in eye movement, heartrate and pulse as well as observing chemical changes.

At Ophelia's moment of optimal consciousness Cassia spoke in a machine like but female voice. It was felt that children should be taught to distinguish between automated guardians and people from an early age and so the default voice pattern had a slightly artificial feel to it, an odd cadence that reminded the charge that they were speaking to a machine.

"Good morning, Ophelia."

"M-m-mornin" Mumbled Ophelia from under the covers.

The temperature rose back to room level, the lights brightened to an optimal, the room went silent to allow for pleasant morning small talk that wasn't sanctioned social red interactions. This audience-less magic trick had gone on every day from most of her life, but today was different. Today was Ophelia's sixteenth birthday. That meant after fifteen years of obeying her Cassia A.I. program, Ophelia was allowed to do what she wanted. At least, that's how she saw it

"Happy independent thought day!" Cassia said as it had calculated that this statement would trigger a content and excited reaction.

"Thanks Cassi!" Ophelia answered smiling. Getting up and stretching.

"Now you've got to do as I say" Ophelia spoke to the air as Cassia only existed for her as a voice from a speaker, or a text through her Pad.

"I will continue to give you advice, Ophelia. It is just that Independent thought is now required."

"Well, for my first independent thought I want a chocolate doughnut for breakfast."

"Your mass contains 4% more body fat than the recommended...

"Cassia, it's my sixteenth birthday you have to do what I say."

"I am programmed to advise you, Ophelia. Independent thought is still required." Cassia replied noting automatically hormone changes, mood swings and even that referring to her as Cassia rather than Cassi when combined with the emotion anger, was a new pattern of behaviour.

"Well, my independent thought is hungry for chocolate doughnuts with chocolate sprinkles." She added quickly.

"Very well, it will be ready after your personal hygiene session; I calculate an 86% chance of you wanting milk with that."

"Chocolate milk!"

"Your mass contains 4% more body fat than the recommended...

"Ok. Ok. Ease up on the copy and paste dialogue. I'll have normal milk."

Suddenly she didn't feel as free as she thought she was going to be.

"Very well, Independent thought is still required"

Ophelia examined herself in the mirror after her shower. Her straight, black, bland hair parted down the middle. Freckles and a hint of baby fat around the cheeks marked out the hints of child-like-ness she desperately wanted to avoid.

"And still no real tits to speak of" she sighed to her mirror mannequin. She practised the sentence and half ironic smirk of disappointment again, before realising that mimicry of the cool kids in the drama club would come across as desperate. Also, she looked like she had a toothache rather than uttered a witty self-depreciating quip.