Chapter 15: Maya

What has gotten into me?

Maybe his car cast a spell on me. The new car smell and powerful AC was a magical experience, but it wasn't great enough to make me get in Nick's personal space. I wiped the oil from his face--who am I? Certainly, not Maya Scott, the number one advocate of personal space.

"Have you eaten anything today? What type of save was that, Maya," I berated myself. I'd been so shocked by my own actions that I had said the first thing I could think of to diffuse the moment. But I was genuinely worried that he'd been working this long without anything to eat. I've officially been invaded by a body snatcher. It's the car it has to be.

As much as I didn't want to enjoy the car--I did. The drive was just so smooth, and it didn't scare people when I drove through the mall parking garage. I didn't have to use my phone speaker to listen to music, because it had an aux port, my ultimate weak spot. But explaining why I was suddenly driving a luxury vehicle was just as annoying as I thought.

"Hey, Maya, some Mercedes driving ass hat parked in your spot," James said as he raised the gate on the storefront windows. We were just opening so the mall was still empty. "Everyone in this whole damn mall knows those are our spots, I oughta key that suckers car. So where'd you end up parking?"

"I parked in the spot I always park in." I took a long sip from my large coffee, I'd gone to bed late again.

He wore a look of confusion as he unlocked the door. "What? No you didn't."

"I did." As I patiently waited for him to catch on, I began flipping on light switches and starting up the register.

"You're the Mercedes driving ass hat!" He exclaimed.

"Sadly," I said. "Please don't key the car. It's a loan."

A grin spread across his face. "That's a pretty nice loan. It wouldn't be from that private school cutie, would it?"

"His name is Nick, and yes it is." He joined me behind the front desk. "According to him my car is bound to explode any second."

He chuckled, fixing the collar of his polo shirt, "Well, anyone with eyes could have told you that."

I glared at him. "Not funny."

"So he's cute, rich," he bumped my shoulder, "and good with his hands. Are you interested?"

I breathed in a sharp breath through my teeth. "Let's stop while we're ahead, James."

He clapped his hands together. "You are interested!"

"Stop it." I walked into the break room to get away from him, but he followed me.

"Look at you, you're practically blushing!" I plopped down on the couch, I'm glad he's getting a kick out of this. "Oh, I can't wait to tell Jonathan about this."

I gasped. "Don't gossip to your husband about me."

He waved me off. "Don't get your panties in a bunch, we gossip about everyone. But I can't believe tough Maya finally has a crush on someone."

"Can you lay off?" I huffed.

"I could but that wouldn't be any fun," he whined.

"You're annoying me." He just smiled at me unphased by my statement.

In truth, I wasn't sure what my feelings for Nick were. He makes me feel all flustered and I have projectile word vomit when he's around. It's the color changing eyes, they lock me in, man, they lock me in.

Suddenly, my phone rang, breaking me from my thoughts of Nick's beautiful eyes. Tasha's smiling face lit up my phone screen. Good maybe she'd have some drama that would keep me my mind from wandering down a Nick rabbit hole.