4

AURELIA

Kai gave me a look of uncertainty, but still he nodded. I smiled and tilted my head, "You don't trust that many people, do you?"

"Misplaced trust is the number one reason for tragedy," he answered, his deep voice rumbling and I looked into his face to see that the vulnerable Kai I had seen just seconds ago was gone. As a figure behind him approached, I saw why. He had just shown me a vulnerability that no one has ever seen before, and he would keep up his stoic appearance in front of everyone else. 

I smiled at the woman that approached us, "What can we do for you, Eleanor?"

She gave me an apologetic smile, "Your father wants you back inside. Dinner is served."

"Thank you. We'll be in shortly," I told her and she nodded, bowing her head slightly to Kai before turning and returning to the ball. Looking at my mate, I saw his eyes were glazed over and I assumed that he was communicating through his pack link. His eyes then refocused, and he looked back at me, as if waiting for me to say something, so I did, "Are you coming?"

He nodded, and took my hand in his as we walked back into the ball. I could feel countless eyes on us as we made our entrance, but I couldn't find it in myself to care. I enjoyed the way it felt to be standing next to him, our hands intertwined. He towered over me, even though I was wearing these dreaded heels, but it wasn't intimidating. At least, not to me. I could see almost every Beta in the room bow and tilt their heads in submission to his powerful aura as we entered the room.

We made our way back to the table, and I could see my father frowning at our joined hands. My mother, however, greeted me with a grin. Kai pushed my chair in for me like the perfect gentleman, and I thanked him. He nodded in response, but I could see the hints of a smile playing at his lips.

"Did you get enough air, sweetheart?" Mother asked.

"Plenty, thanks," I responded, though I could feel Eleanor giving me a knowing look. After all, she had seen Kai and I's moment of him holding me affectionately only minutes ago. 

Tom spoke up, "So, Alpha Alistair, what are your future plans for the White Stone Pack? You've already accomplished so much and at such a young age, you've got a lot of us wondering what there's left for you to do."

Thank you, I sent the message to Tom, thanking him not only for the conversation but acknowledging Kai formally and with respect.

"Thank you, Tom," Kai nodded to him. Beta Richards looked a little shocked that Kai knew his first name, but he hid it well. "As of now, we don't have any plans. Our pack is currently at peace and all is well. I hope to keep it that way."

The last remark was directed towards my father, I was sure of it.

My father spoke again as he cut into the steak on his plate, "Is it true, Alpha Kai, that you once killed a man just by looking at him?"

This time he used the Alpha title, but with the distaste with which he said it, I could tell that it was meant more as an insult than the blatant disrespect had earlier. Speaking his title like that implied that he didn't deserve the title. And for one alpha to question another's honor as who they are is grounds enough for a war.

My eyes widened as I listened to his question, head turning to Kai slowly to take in his response. He smirked, his eyes cold as they settled on my father and I could practically see his wolf surfacing just beneath his eyes. My father was walking on dangerous territory, and the worst part was that I didn't know whose side to take.

"It's not a look that kills a man, Alpha Bennet," Kai spoke slowly— dangerously. "It's the power underneath a look that does the killing."

"I didn't get a yes or no to my answer," my father said, a dangerous smile playing on his face as well. My father is a good man, and a kind Alpha. But as an alpha, he can also be quite intimidating when he needed to he, and apparently now was a time when he thought he needed to be so.

Kai sat back in his chair, not giving an answer to him.

My father leaned in, clearly not finished with his interrogation, "How about this, Alpha Alistair; is it true you've murdered innocent women and children just for more territory?"

"Dad!" I immediately interjected.

"No, it's okay," Kai answered firmly, his jaw set. He gave a cold, cruel smile to my dad that I had to admit gave me some trouble, "I'd love to set the record straight. I don't harm innocent women and children— only those who fight against me."

Looking around, I found several of the tables near us were staring, watching the scene around us unfold.

"I don't think this is the time nor the place to do this," I spoke softly, giving both my mate and father a meaningful look.

The rest of the dinner was silent, but you could cut the tension with the steak knives in front of us. Asher and Lyla eventually got up to dance, and Eleanor and Tom followed suit. My mother was finally able to drag my father out of his seat for a dance, leaving Kai and I alone. He stood up and sat in my mother's seat next to me. We watched the dance floor in front of us in silence for a while.

After a couple songs, Kai spoke, "Your father doesn't like me much."

"I'm his only child, I'm sure he just doesn't want me to leave," I responded. "He's usually a kind and gentle man." 

He shook his head, "He thinks you're too good for me. I can see it in his eyes— everyone's eyes, actually. People keep looking at us, and all I see are the looks of pity that people are sending you, because you're mated to the monster that I am."

He spoke lowly, quietly, but I heard it well enough to know that I disagreed with him. As I began to scan the room more, I realized with a shock that he was right. People were sending pitying glances my way.

"I doubt your father will let me take you home with me," Kai says.

"Not tonight, no," I answer with a nod, "But tomorrow. Tomorrow you'll pick me up at noon, and we will go to your territory." 

He raised a brow at me in surprise, as if to say "really?", and I smiled softly, nodding, "My father won't like it, I promise you that, but I'm a grown woman, and you are an Alpha, and we can make our own decisions."

"Tomorrow at noon," he repeated, as if checking to make sure he had everything right, though there wasn't much to it.

I nodded, "Tomorrow at noon."