1 - michael

seven years later...

"Hey. Wake up."

Something prods me in the back and I groan, rolling over in my sleep. 

"Wake up!" The voice yells again harshly. 

"Mm," I blink, opening my eyes slowly. I'm greeted with the sight of a half-dressed David, struggling into a pair of black jeans. He has his tie slung around his neck, tan muscles rippling. 

"Get up and get dressed," David scowls. "We're off to get breakfast in ten minutes."

"Ten minutes?" I yawn, sitting up and grabbing my glasses. I glance at him. "Just ten minutes?"

"Yes," he snaps. "We're already late enough." He buttons the top button and looks at himself proudly in the mirror, twisting back and forth.

"Aren't you supposed to wear slacks?" I sleepily rise, pulling off my pajamas in one swoop. 

"Yes," David replies again, smirking at his reflection. I roll my eyes, pulling on my own uniform - black slacks, a white dress shirt, dress shoes, and a white blazer with a thick black rim. I don't bother to brush my hair through or adjust my round wire glasses. 

David looks at me and glares. "Don't tell me you're going out like that." He ruffled my hair violently. "It's bad enough that I've already gotten a sophomore roommate..." 

I shrug at him, rolling up my socks. David hadn't explained much, but he'd briefly told me of how since he wanted to receive the Student of the Year Award for best community student, the Principal had lumped him here together with me. 

I'd won a the first full scholarship into White Valley Prep, the school of rich and... more riches. Nobody would want to associate with me, a poor student. 

... unless if it was for service, of course. 

"Hurry up," David growled as I began packing up my backpack. "We can come back and do that."

"No, I have a class at 8:30," I replied monotonously. 

"Huh, poor kid."

"Quite literally, indeed."

David folded his arms in annoyance. "Stop biting with your sharp wit!"

"You admit I have sharp wit?" I raised an eyebrow at him, amused. 

"I saw your scores, Glasses - full marks on the entrance exam, and perfect school record, I'm not blind."

"Like me?" I snickered. 

"Shut up."

"Oh by the way, Glasses - what a clever nickname." 

"Shut up, Glasses." David snapped. "Now, are you done?"

"Yeah, yeah." I zipped up my bag and hoisted it on my shoulders. "Let's go."

As soon as we stepped out the door, the hallway went silent. Even in the boys dorm, the quiet chatter of gossip emerged. 

"Hm. People don't talk with fists here?" I asked David as I felt the judgy eyes of others rake over me. 

David didn't reply, walking ahead and ignoring me. Every few moments he would toss me a disgusted glance. I rolled my eyes at him. 

I honestly didn't expect much from White Valley Prep kids. Back in my old school, with my best friends Alaska and Tom, I was normal. Okay, perhaps a little more dirt-poor, but nothing major. And now, look at me. Off with the big dogs.