Chapter Six

Things were going on well that Lami felt as though she was finally living again. Everything felt too good to be true, having a homely feeling is truly the best thing one could ever have.

She was even dreaming again, unlike before when she had no ambition, dreaming of days she would be able to have her own children.

She dreamt of being pregnant and going through all the phases other women had gone through. She dreamt of the day she could participate in the women community meetings and all. Most importantly, she had a dream.

She looked at her husband who was seating on the floor, legs crossed and he looked to be deep in thought. Two weeks of being together and Lami completely had no objections that this man were different from all the others.

He treated her with respect, he asked for her opinion and didn't bother if she disagreed with him over anything. She was being really comfortable with him and it terrified her. It's too fast paced, she felt.

"Salamalaikum"

She entered the room and he answered, looking up at her and she paused, not understanding his looks. She set the tray of food down and went out of the room to bring back a bowl of water he would use to clean his hands with.

"Let's eat together"

She was a bit hesitant. Even though they were married, it still didn't change the fact that they were total strangers to each other. She of course kept the truth that she didn't see him as a stranger anymore to herself.

She wasn't ready to loose herself over him and then be disappointed at the end again. Unsure that her heart could bear any more pain or troubles, she'd keep those feeling private and dwell on them when she was alone. Maybe someday she'd be privileged to tell him how she felt, but only until then.

They ate in silence and she took the plates out, then returned and sat close to him. He looked at her again and smile.

"I think we should get to know each other don't you think?"

She nodded. She also thought the same.

"The first step to achieving a happy marriage is communication. I think by now, you should be able to speak to me freely"

She reasoned his words and found them true.

"You are right."

She agreed with him and silence descended again.

"When I was young, I used to wonder why the other kids had fathers but I didn't."

He began and she looked at him. He was telling her things from the past, not just anything. He was opening his own cupboard to her and that made a warm feeling spread through her entire self.

"One day, I overhead the women in the market. I was just returning from school then.
They pointed at me and spoke in hushed tones.

Ahmadu smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. Memories of who he was before running in a circle around his head as he voiced them out the first time.

He wasn't sure why, but he found himself liking her more and more and he consoled himself. The girl didn't seem to have any problems. For now. They had a lot of time to spend together and they could use that to unravel themselves piece by piece.

He shook the mild thoughts away and continued

" Look at him, see how he walks like his father owns the village. He has passed without even a word of greeting.'

One of the women said and I slowed down. I had half a mind to turn back and greet them. I had been in a hurry to return home and didn't greet them but another voice stopped me. She said to the other