Chapter Ten

A little note:
Thank you for reading, I'll never get tired of saying that. :)

Life went on for Lami and she had never been happier. She prepared to pay a visit to her grandmother today, it had been a while since she saw that woman and she also missed her father

The morning sun let some of its warmth seep in, through the curtains and Lami exhaled as they placed warm kisses on her face.

She looked away from the window, shifting the curtains to block the sunlight. She'd received enough sun kisses that she felt her face was warm enough to roast corn or thereabout.

Lami tapped Ahmadu who was lying on the bed. He yawned lazily and sat up, propping and arm under his chin, he fixed her with that look that always made it easy for her to get under a daze.

"I want to go see Baaba Jummai today. Would you like to come along with me?"

He did not answer so she took it for a no.

"Of course if you are not willing to, I can go alone and I will back in a while."

"Who said I am not willing to? But first there is something I would like you to give me"

The serious look on his face made her a bit nervous. Even though he had assured her that everything was okay and her past would not be an issue between them, the hammering increase in her heartbeat and the heavy feel that settled in the bottom of her stomach did not stop whenever he mention that they needed to have a talk.

"Anything. If I am able to give it to you, I definitely would"

He walked up and opened his box, the one he brought with him from the city and took a tube and a syringe.

"Sit on the bed, I'm taking some of your blood"

He looked very different and his voice seemed a bit professional as he spoke to her. Instead of sitting, Lami began to wonder if he treated his female patients with such an air of indifference too.

She was shocked at the tweak of jealousy that she felt when she thought him and other females. She shouldn't be

He said he needed her blood but for what? What would he do with her blood and surely, he was not going to stick that sharp looking needle into her skin was he?

Ahmadu looked at her and saw her pale face and frightened eyes fixed on the syringe. He had an urge to laugh but did not. Now, they were not husband and wife, he was a doctor and she, his patient.

"Please sit down, do not waste both our times."

He pulled her hand she sat stiffly.

"What is that?"

She pointed at the syringe and he answered calmly.

"It's a syringe."

He said in English and she repeated after him. However her fear for the needle did not dissipate.

"It is going to hurt won't it?"

"No, if you trust me it will not"

She closed her eyes and he carefully inserted the needle in to her skin.

"Back at the hospital, a woman came to see a doctor and just like you, she was scared of the syringe like you and the doctor told her a story about another woman who was scared of a syringe and a doctor told her a story of another woman like her. That's it, I'm done"

Lami opened her eyes and realised that aside from the sharp pain she felt when the needle pierced her skin, she didn't feel anything else because she had been listening to him.