Chapter Thirteen

The people gathered slowly, till there was hardly any space in the market square. They were watching a fascinating sight and even though they had been seeing it for the past three days in a row, it still amazed them every time they saw it.

Umar stood with a microphone under the harsh sun and continued to welcome and invite more people, beads of perspiration rolling down his neck, armpits and back.

He considered this his redemption. If he couldn't earn their forgiveness the way he wanted, the least he could do was make sure no one else found themselves in their situation.

He invited a handful of professionals to set up a small lesson class to attract the children. In front of the doctors, there was a long line where anyone with any disease at all will come and be checked.

Small materials like sweets, chocolates, toys, soap, sugar, salt were given to the children who came at the end of each day to arouse the interest of other children as well as ensure they returned. Free medicines were given and diagnosis were free.

The villagers were opening up to them slowly as they had seen the wonders of their works. But as they say, no pain no gain. Some were still very hostile towards them and sometimes would go as far as hitting the children who attended and threatening the villagers who got treated.

***
Ahmadu scoffed as he checked on Liman's grandson who had fallen ill with fever. Whether on purpose or not, the old man had been praising what Umar was doing to the heights of heavens.

He remained silent, as though he couldn't hear but his heart itched. What Omar is doing now was exactly the plans he had for his small village.

The people even trusted him now, seeking him over any small case and his helping them had earned his mother and wife the respect he wanted.

"He will be fine" He wiped a fine layer of sweat on the boy's forehead and smiled.

The fever had broken.

"I will be leaving now baba. Later I will drop by to check on him and remember to give him some light food immediately he wakes and the drugs just as I prescribed them"

He raised the curtains eager to escape from Liman because he sensed a conversation was coming on and it was one he wasn't willing to have, at least not yet.

"Ahmadu" Liman hurried after him, surprised at how fast he reached the front door. "Wait mana. Will you be going home directly?"

He knew the answer, but he had to ask again.

Ahmadu crossed his arms and looked at Liman for a while till the older man started to get creeped  out.

"Is there anything you want me to do for you?" His brows were raised in mock questioning and his eyes brightened seeing the old man in a delima.

"No there is nothing" Liman conceded. A promise remained a promise and must never be broken if one could help it.

Ahmadu said goodbye again and rushed out the door. He knew exactly what Liman wanted as he'd been hinting at it for the past five months.

Five months since Umar refused to stay away from Kurmi, five months since he plagued their lives.

True to his words, he stayed away and didn't attempt to reach them again but that wasn't what Ahmadu wanted.

What he wanted was the man truly gone so he'd never set his eyes on him again. Just the fact that he was still here in Kurmi unnerved him and evoked all sorts of unnecessary emotions in him, emotions that he'd rather they stay buried deep below.