Chapter Fifty

*THREE WEEKS LATER*

I grabbed a light jacket and tossed it on quickly before running to Sodapop's room and grabbing one of his flannels. We didn't need much of a jacket outside anymore spring was nearing closer and the weather was warming up.

Soda had been in the hospital ever since he was shot. For some reason they wanted to keep him until he was fully healed. I got to go home after three days, which was way too many if you ask me. Today Sodapop was finally all healed and able to come home. Steve was getting ready to take me to get him seeing as everyone else was busy.

I ran outside and hopped into the car where Steve was already waiting.

"Let's go," I hollered.

Steve took off with a jolt just to get a kick out of me.

"Can we talk," Steve asked.

"Sure."

"Sodapop's all healed up. You made a decision yet?"

"I'm close."

I had been thinking about it a lot lately, I really didn't want them to fight. My heart would lean towards one and then back to the other in an endless loop, hour after hour. It would even keep me awake at night. Everytime I think I've decided five seconds later I think the other one.

"Get closer you got 'till tonight. And I's already told Soda what we were doin'. He says he's ready."

"I hope he won't have to be."

"You and me both, better hurry though."

Steve pulled into the hospital parking lot and we got out of the car.

As soon as we were in the door I heard a familiar voice.

"Plicity, Steve!"

I couldn't spot him, but soon I felt arms engulf me from behind, Sodapop's arms.

"How do you feel," I asked him joyously.

"I feel perfect, I felt perfect about a week ago, but they wouldn't let me go 'till healed all the way. I gotta track record with bustin' stitches open."

I laughed tossing him his flannel that I brought. He put it on over the white t-shirt, leaving it unbuttoned.

We stepped outside and Soda pulled the flannel tight around him

"I forgot it was cold out after bein' in there for three weeks."

"Get used to it," Steve snickered.

Once back at the Curtis house I went into my room to think for a bit. I had one hour until Steve drug Soda into the backyard and they fought.

I pulled out my notebook and several sharpened pencils. I began to sketch aimlessly across the paper. I don't even know what I'm drawing.

I didn't think about Soda or Steve, this was my last option. Clearing my mind. I cleared my mind off both guys and focused on the pencil I was dragging across the paper.

I had tried everything, except not trying at all.

In a single second it hit me like a brick, I knew who I was going to pick. I looked up at the clock from my zoned out state, it had already been an hour and five minutes. I'm glad they were just planning on fighting in the backyard, anywhere else and I wouldn't get there on time.

I could see Sodapop and Steve in the backyard when I opened the door. They turned to look at me when they heard the door snap shut.

"I don't know if you were about to start, but don't."

"Plicity we gotta do somethin'," I cut him off by putting my hand in the air.

"I've decided."

Their faces grew shocked, then faded into serious. I looked to each of them one last time making sure I had made the right choice.

I had.

"Okay you guys close your eyes." They did so.

I wasn't quite sure how else do it. I felt bad about having to pick right in front of the other.

I walked over to my choice and grabbed his hands.

"Soda. I choose you."

He picked me up off the ground in a hug and swung me around holding me tight.

"Yes," he screamed triumphantly.

Soda set me down and I turned to give Steve a hug.

"I'm sorry Steve. I really do like you but I don't know my brain just kinda chose Sodapop."

"It's okay. I told you, you find someones you wants to get with and I'll make sure they don't hurt ya'. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks for being so understanding," I finally let him out of the hug.

"No problem, I'll be goin' in then."

Steve left me and Soda in the backyard alone.

Soda put his hands on my face and leaned down to kiss me, I closed the gap between us. Again he was so gentle.

He laughed,"thanks for choosing me."

I laughed,"anytime Soda."