t w e l v e

dan woke up greeted with the ocean eyes of the raven haired boy, "good morning," phil said, his morning voice deep and groggy. dan smiled, "good morning, how did you sleep?"

"good," phil said, 'i wish you could sleep here with me all the time,' phil wished he could say.

"that's good," dan replied and the conversation ended there.

the two boys laid there for awhile, just enjoying each others warmth. suddenly, phil's phone rang. he leaned over to the bedside table, grabbing the device shooting sounds through the once peacefully quiet room. "it's pj," phil finally said, his voice low, "should i answer it?" dan took phil's hand and stared into his eyes, the windows to his beautiful soul, "no," dan said, "he hurt you, he doesn't deserve you. he's a monster." dan whispered the last part, neither of them wanting to believe it.

phil tapped the red decline button and turned his phone on silent, ignoring all the messages pj tried to send to him. "have you broken up with him yet?" dan asked, hoping for a certain answer. phil lowered his head, "no," he shamefully said, "i don't want to hurt-"

"phil," dan interrupted, "don't forget that he's the one that hurt you, physically, he doesn't deserve your forgiveness." phil turned his body away from dan for a moment, "but," he whispered, "it wasn't even that bad," phil tried to defend pj, not wanting to hurt him, even though he hurt phil way worse.

"phil, you have bruises all over your body, please, i can't let you live like this," dan pleaded, "i don't want you getting hurt," his voice shook, "i can't let you get hurt and i don't want to just stand around and watch it happen," tears threatened to escape dan's eyes, "please," dan whispered, "can you do this, for me?"

dan felt phil's arms come around him, protecting him, even if phil was the one that needed protecting, "okay," phil said, "i would do anything for you." he mumbled the last bit, so quiet it was as if he didn't want dan to hear, but he did.

"i would do anything for you," played over in phil's head. maybe dan was the boy he needed all along, not pj.

but dan didn't like him like that, phil thought.

after all, they were just best friends.