The Warm Sun

Prompt: “A sunny day and Beth and Daryl have been together for three years and all of the sudden Daryl got down on one knee and proposed to Beth.” (My sister is 11 and she gave me this prompt). 

This one’s going to be pretty short though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Warm Sun

Beth’s POV:

The Governor came. The prison fell. My daddy died. I ran with Daryl. We collapsed in the grass. We found a house, and I began to feel differently about Daryl… closer to him. We eventually began a relationship, but we weren’t “dating”. We were just “together”. So much had happened since the day the Governor became a problem for our group. Daryl and I had been “together” for just over three years. I knew he wasn’t keeping track, but I was. I had tallied up the days and weeks on a page in my journal, nice and neat. 

We decided to go out on a hunt when we got low on food, but as we walked, we got farther and farther from our usual hunting spot. I trusted Daryl completely, but I was curious. “Daryl, where are we going?” He turned his head to look at me, smiling. 

"Somewhere new. You’ll see why when we get there." I giggled as he grabbed my hand, pulling me forward to catch up with him. He let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side as we walked.

It took another half hour to get to the place Daryl was leading me. We broke away from the trees, into a clearing filled with purple wildflowers. I gasped at the sight of the gorgeous purple flowers and bright green grass. “Daryl! They’re so gorgeous!” He had a wide grin on his face. I turned and flung my arms around his neck. “How did you find this place?” He put his hands on my hips and kissed my forehead. 

"I’ve been lookin’ for a perfect place to bring ya’." I grinned, burying my face in his neck. 

"For what?" He didn’t say anything else, just dropped to one knee and took my hand in between his. I gasped and covered my mouth with my free hand, feeling tears sting in my eyes as butterflies beat like crazy in my stomach. 

"Well, I don’t have a ring just yet, ‘cause I gotta find one. But I wanna start callin’ ya’ my wife. Will you marry me, Beth Greene? Be mine for the rest of our days?" I let the tears spill, nodding wildly and mouthing ‘yes’ as I sat down on his knee and crashed into him as I threw my arms around him and connected my lips with his, unable to quit smiling. He broke the kiss, looking into my eyes. "Good."

"I love you, Daryl." I rolled off his knee to lay in the soft, tall grass. He followed, laying beside me and grabbing my hand. 

"I love you too, Mrs. Dixon." I smiled, the new name had a nice ring to it. We stayed on the ground for hours, soaking up the warm sun.