Shawn?

Here's another prompt I got from my 11 year old little sister. She likes to give me prompts and I like to write all of the prompts I get. This one was difficult to write at first without making it like 50 words long. I eventually got to where I could lengthen it a bit so here it is. 

Prompt: Beth is pregnant and they don't know what to name the baby. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daryl: 

"So. . . " Beth looked down at her feet, hesitatin', then continuin'. "We'll be parents in nine months." I froze, shocked. 

"What?" I couldn't help but smile. Honestly the thought excited me, but I was nervous. So many things could go wrong, but in that moment my life changed. I'd need to step it up a notch. I now had three people to care for, maybe four. That though set me off. My mind swirled. What if it was twins? Or triplets? Oh God. . .  

Beth:

I could almost hear the gears turning in Daryl's head. "We'll be fine, Daryl. Everything'll work out." He nodded, wheels still turning, smile still on his face. I closed the space between us, sitting down in Daryl's lap and laying back, resting my head on his shoulder. He was bare-chested and I traced a think scar down his chest at an angle with my finger. Still seemingly lost in thought, his hand traveled to me, brushing lightly over my stomach. I grinned. He didn't know it, but he was unbelievably adorable. I put my hand over his, knowing we wouldn't feel anything for quite a while yet, but knowing that something. . . someone was there.

[6 months later. . . ]

Daryl:

Beth was in the kitchen cookin' squirrels I'd caught earlier that day when the semi-silence was broken by her surprised outburst. "Daryl, come here!" I flew off the couch and into the kitchen, nearly crashing into her as I skidded to a stop, slightly panicked.

"What is it? Are you okay?" Instead of a look of worry that I expected to find on her face, I found her lookin' like she'd won the lottery. She grabbed my hand, pullin' me closer and puttin' it on her belly. I furrowed my brows, confused.

"Wait for it." I stood completely still, holdin' my breath. A few seconds later I felt a light, quick flutterin' under my hand. Beth's eyes lit up shen she saw me open my mouth in surprise. I could feel a grin spreadin' across my face as we stood there, feelin' the baby kick around. Beth giggled when one of the kicks was stronger than the rest.

"It tickles a little bit." I laughed, overcome with joy.

"I can't believe this is actually gonna happen, Beth. Never in a million years would I have expected to be a father." Beth smiled warmly and pulled me into a hug. The baby had stopped kickin'.

"Well you've got three months to believe it. You'll be an amazing father." I kissed Beth's forehead then laid my chin on the top of her head. When the little kitchen timer went off, we sat down to our dinner of squirrel and wild strawberries. After supper, we decided to hit the sack early. We were both exhausted. I walked behind Beth until we got to the stairs. Then I leaned down, hookin' an elbow around the back of her knees and hookin' the other elbow under her arms, liftin' her off the ground, bridal style, surprisin' her. She gasped and laughed as I easily carried her up the steps, two at a time. I laid her down on the bed when we got upstairs, leanin' over her and kissin' her. I sat down beside her and leaned back against the headboard, puttin my hand on her belly. "We need a name for her" I looked at her, raisin' one eyebrow.

"Her, huh?" She blushed and ran a hand over her belly, bumpin' mine along the way. 

"Okay, him?" I shrugged.

"Guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we?" She nodded, grinnin' and snugglin' into my side with her head on my shoulder.

"Neveah?" I looked down at her, only able to see the top of her head until she looked up at me.

"Huh?"

"For a name? Neveah for a girl?" I shook my head. "Well, what do you have in mind?" I shrugged.

"I don' know. Let's find one of those baby name books on our next run." She nodded and closed her eyes. We fell asleep that way.

[3 months later. . .]

Daryl:

I moved around to the side of the bed, sittin' down next to a sweaty, exhausted Beth, handin' our baby boy to her. She grinned ear to ear as she held him. "We never did find that book, you know. So we still need a name. How about Merle? Or Dale?" I shook my head. 

"Beth, I'll tell ya', I both hated and loved Merle with everythin' I got, but Merle is a God-awful name. Ain't no way that's gonna be my son't name." She laughed as she stared down lovingly at the tiny baby.

"Fair enough. How about. . . um. . . Danny?" I shook my head again. Okay, Daryl, your turn."She giggled as I dug through my brain.

"Shawn?" Her eyes lit up. Bingo.

"After my brother?" I nodded. "I love it! How about a middle name?" I laid my head back, tired. It had been a long day. Beth broke the silence again. "I like Elliot. What do you think?" I nodded. 

"Love it." She looked back down at Shawn, playin' with his hand as he wrapped it around her finger.

"Hello, Shawn Elliot Dixon. I'm Beth, your mommy. And this is Daryl, your brave, handsome, strong daddy. We love you so much." She kissed the top of his head, handin' him to me. I was hesitant at first, but took him in my arms. I looked him over. Shawn Elliot Dixon. The name fit him well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The end! I need more prompts to write, so if you have an idea you'd like to see written, let me know in the comments or my inbox! Love you guys, thanks for reading and voting and until next chapter. . . 

~kitkat9g~