Chapter 4 - The Council (Pt 1)

The next morning, both girls were awoken by a loud knock. Lauren jumped out of bed instantly, the blanket discarded and disregarded on the floor. The young vampire was at the door in a split second. Cara, on the other hand, struggled to move her stiff body. She really should have slept in the bed. Or at least the floor. Her joints cracked and popped with every movement before she too stood beside the door. 

"You guys alive?" Though Dani's question was meant to be a joke, concern was evident in her voice.

"Yeah, but you won't be for much longer." Lauren hissed, her raspy voice dripping with fury.

Dani's worry faded.

"How about a good morning?" The younger vampire complained. "Threatening me doesn't exactly make me wanna let you out, you know."

"Open the fucking door, Dani."

"Did you even try to talk to each other?"

There was no response from the other side of the door. Dani sighed.

"It was worth a shot."

The door clicked once again. Lauren pulled it open instantly. Blood red eyes narrowed at Dani, and for a moment the younger girl almost feared for her life. That was until she remembered she was already dead. Lauren's grip was tight on Dani's arm as she was dragged through the house and out the front door. Perhaps locking them in the room had been a bad idea.

Lauren finally released her crushing grip a few meters away from the mansion.

"Ten hours. Ten fucking hours we were locked in there." Her tone was acidic. "It was infuriating, humiliating, and uncomfortable."

"Okay, so admittedly, locking you two together may not have been the best strategy-"

"You think!" Lauren exclaimed, the anger still evident in her voice.

"But you two really do have to at least try to talk." This time Lauren stayed silent. Dani continued. "Whether you like it or not she is your mate."

"I got that already." Lauren hissed. Why must she be reminded of the fact every two seconds?

"So just try to get to know each other." By now Dani was almost pleading.

She knew changing Lauren's mind would not be so easy. She raised to believe werewolves were foul and vicious, and that would not be so quickly forgotten.

"We will. Just give us some time." Lauren's face softened, and the anger left her raspy voice. "Regardless of species and our so-called bond, we are still strangers."

"I get that. I'm sorry." Dani flashed the older girl an apologetic smile.

Lauren released a breathy laugh in response.

"You're my best friend, I couldn't stay mad at you if I wanted to."

Dani flashed a cocky grin. "I know."

Both vampires burst into a fit of laughter. Dani couldn't help but feel relieved. Yes, Lauren was her best friend, but whenever she was angry, truly angry, it was as if she became another person. The emotion drained out of her body as if her heart was a void, and remorse and pity became things unknown to her. Even to Dani, the mere thought was terrifying. 

Despite the years of friendship, Dani still felt lucky each time Lauren opted to open up to her. She hoped the older vamp would eventually feel comfortable enough to do the same with Cara and give them a chance at love. The one thing Dani wished more than anything for her best friend, was happiness.

Lauren felt a pair of eyes on her back. She shot a glance at the house. A flash of blonde near the entrance confirmed her suspicions.

Cara had ducked out of sight as fast as possible, but not fast enough. In an instant, Lauren stood beside her. The werewolf practically jumped out of her skin, her heart hammering against her ribcage.