Chapter 8.1

Hey, guys!!!! How's your summer going? I hope you're all having a great time!! I know I promised I'd update at least once in June, but you know me, finals were harder than I thought and I barely had time to even log onto any social media. I won't be promising any more updates because I don't know how long it's gonna take me to write more, since the summer is usually hectic and I don't really have a schedule. From now on, just keep in mind I'll post a new chapter somewhere around 1-2 months in between chapters, and only twice a month if I have a lot of free time. Anyway, hope you enjoy this new chapter. So far, I'm halfway through it so I'll update again as soon as I have a decent amount of writing. 

After driving for about ten minutes, Josh's patience started to run thin as there seemed to be traffic jams nearly every few seconds. However, he couldn't let it ruin his mood since he finally got to spend some quality alone-time with Andie. There were relatively no distractions, nor anyone to purposefully interfere or pester them. Aside from the backwoods bathroom of horrors and the occasional annoying bypassers, they had a fairly enjoyable morning together.

"Hey, Andie..." Josh cleared his throat, peering over at her out of the corner of his eye. "Thanks for tagging along. I had a great time."

Andie snapped her head around to look in his direction.

"No need to thank me," she replied gratefully. "I really needed to get away from everything, so thanks for making my morning suck a whole lot less."

A soft smile slowly spread over Josh's lips as he tugged the wheel to take a turn into an adjacent road.

"It's the least I could do. I'm glad we both had a great time."

As soon as their little exchange was over, Josh focused his attention back on the road. He let himself get absorbed in the comfortable silence as the weight of Andie's words fully sank in. He felt extremely happy that they both felt the same way. For once today, they were peacefully sitting without any words being spoken, yet they felt at ease. The air around them wasn't prickling with tension, but it felt refreshing and almost exhilarating.

The rest of the drive back to Brayer was relatively uneventful since Josh and Andie were alone with their cheerful thoughts.

Soon enough, they reached school grounds and pulled into the parking lot. Thankfully, the spot where Josh had parked this morning was still open. He stationed the car in and turned off the engine. After taking a deep breath to prepare themselves, they both stepped out of the vehicle.

Closing the door behind him, Josh pressed a button on the key fob. The car immediately beeped twice, giving a resounding confirmation that it was locked. He then walked up next to Andie, who was waiting only a few feet ahead of him. 

"Wanna race inside?" he suggested, giving her a nudge.

"You're on!" Andie accepted the offer, chuckling at his idea. "Just don't run into a signal again."

Josh laughed under his breath, having a flashback to the time he and Andie played Foot-Race when he happened to be at their house for Alec's sleepover. He remembered how simple things used to be back then; no petty drama to get in the way of things, plus Alec seemed to be much more tolerant towards him.

Sometimes Josh wished he could turn back time to change many of the stupid mistakes he'd made out of inexperience. However, he'd realized that he couldn't let his past dictate his future, and that learning from his mistakes was what would ultimately help move him forward.

"Come on, slowpoke, get a move on!" Andie exclaimed, suddenly launching forward before Josh had a chance to finish his train of thought.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Josh complained, still scatterbrained. "You got a head start, cheater!" he teased while trying to catch up.